Stong D16z6?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

gear

I recently got my first import (1994 honda civic Ex coupe).. ive already got chikara headers, freeflow cat, large diameter piping, OBX full cool air intake...thats about as far as it goes as far as simple bolt ons are concerned.. Ive gathered all over the internet just about every part for a pretty strong + serious rebuild: valves, springs, cams, all gaskets, pistons, underdrive pulleys etc... now Ive heard this is the strongest of all honda SOHC engines, not to mention it has vtec.. id like to say ALL motor if possible, for the simple fact that turbo's are tricky and dangerous, as well as the lag etc blah blah. anywho.. gimme your imput. thanks

::gear::

well in response to the laugh about turbo, it is silly but heres my reasoning... it just seems like alot more of something that could go wrong, when i could swap to some sort of a racing setup ie: a throttlebody per cylinder :D but turbo, the more im researching is looking tempting.... greddy makes a real nice kit for my car... maaaaaaaybe

The D16A6 (88-91 Si) engine is the strongest SOHC D block, in terms of construction... not the D16Z6. Slap a VTEC head on an A6 block and you can mod from there. The D16Z6 is still a really good platform to build on if you already have it. You can easily make 150whp+ all motor with a few changes and good tuning. If you're fine with a turbo engine's power curve, the Greddy kit is also a good choice. It's not too expensive, and the power output on a D16Z6 is really nice. Make sure you get an intercooler for it though.

who says the z6 block isn't good enough? honda blocks are perhaps the strongest and lightest. first of all, the Z6 block is a great companion. the only thing it lacks is of the rod strength. but just slap on 85-87 integra rods and piston and you're great. 88-89 will not work. then why not slap on a D16Y8 head for more quenching. if you wanna run NA, get as much CR as you can. but i suggest you get a Jackson Racing Supercharger. it'll give you real good numbers.

Originally posted by honda_mach3@May 7 2003, 10:12 AM
get a Jackson Racing Supercharger. it'll give you real good numbers.

think thats the route im going with my dx, i know it won't be fast but im not out to be...im looking for a good looking hatch that handles well and is quick (still going to build up internals), the fact that i won't be running vtec doesn't bother me really, okay don't mean to jack the post

I can see where he is coming from.Turbo's are nice,but everyone around here in Knoxville is burning the rings out of their motor.But then I have a friend that has a Jackson running 12 lbs. of boost on a del sol and can very seldom get a 9.15 in the 1/8.So i would rather keep my 500.00 Zex kit and use it when I need it .

Back