1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Str Power Pulleys? Wtf?

Discussion in 'General Tech and Maintenance' started by daquel, Feb 1, 2003.

1. daquel

daquel Junior Member

I ordered STR power pulleys (underdrive) and when I try to install them, the bore is not large enough to go onto the crankshaft. Am I missing something from my kit? It came with two pulleys (one for the alternator and one for the power steering) and one Gates belt.

This is for a 96 B18b. I checked the web site and I'm 100% positive I have the right part#. Anyone ran into this problem?

TIA

2. SixtySecondAssassin

SixtySecondAssassin Senior Member

maybe they sent you the wrong one. call whoever you got it from, they should be able to straighten it out.

3. B16

B16 Super Moderator VIP

eh, why are you putting them on your crankshaft if they are for your ps and alt.?

4. SixtySecondAssassin

SixtySecondAssassin Senior Member

lol, i didnt even catch that. i need to go to sleep.

5. daquel

daquel Junior Member

Cause I thought that is where they go on the crankshaft! LOL what an idiot I am! Where do they go, on the alternator and power steering pump?
    So I guess I need an underdrive pulley now. (is that the one on the crankshaft?)

6. rodzilla

rodzilla Member

Stay away from lightened crankshaft pulleys, they will do nothing but ruin your engine. The crankshaft pulley is also called the "harmonic balancer". it helps balance out the engine....if you put a lightened one on it, all it will do is ruin your engine

7. E_SolSi

E_SolSi Member of the 20 nut club Moderator VIP

:werd:

the only balanced crankshaft pulley i know of is the mugen one ($$$$$$$$$$$$$$$)
    there are many other places to get power out of your engine... pulleys should be a last resort if done at all
    get rid of the power steering... then you save weight and get more power... while your at it scrap the AC too

8. B16

B16 Super Moderator VIP

yes... and dont get a new crankshaft pulley unless it is a mugen CTR N1 one, as stated above.

9. daquel

daquel Junior Member

Yeah thanks guys. I actually did some research after I posted this and found out about the harmonic balancer. I'm glad I got these pulleys rather than the crankshaft pulley. I honestly thought I was getting the crankshaft pulley LOL! :sleep:

I actually scrapped the A/C and power steering pump. All I'll be using is the alternator pulley.

10. B16

B16 Super Moderator VIP

just from personal experience, i've had the AEM alt. pulley kill 2 of my alternators so far, never using them again. i didn't notice any difference in power gain or loss.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted