straight pipe for exaust on a hatch

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

hammerdgolfer

hey,
in my 90 hatch i want to pout up or cut out the spare tire well in the back an run a stright pipe for my exhaust,
im getting a mugen twin loop so ill just cut the spare tire well out and have a piece of plexiglass over it so show it off :eek:
one of my freinds said there would be no backpressure??
is that true? im going to be running just the stright pipe, no cat no nothing but the can on the back, let me know, thnaks alot,

the exhuast on a hatch needs to bend to go around the gas tank tell your friend is knows nothing and needs to shut the fuck up

I'm planning on running a straight pipe too. I saw it on one of those Best motoring videos, on a crx I think. I'm going to pull out the old gas tank and have a 15gal. fuel cell installed in the hatch where the spare tire is. I'll just custom mount the spare over the fuel cell. I'm then going to build a diffuser and underbody tray to smooth out the aerodynamics. What do you all think? As for the other guy that started this thread, you prolly won't have a problem with backpressure, but the oem gas tank is in the way. you're gonna have to move it, or replace it w/ a fuel cell like I'm going to. It's amazing the amount of information you get outta guys who think every idea that's not their own is "ghey". Get a life and stop being little kids.

I know some road race guys who have used straight back piping on EFs before & it's definitely noy gay... I use a straight through system, center exit on my D-prepared race car, but the routing is entirely different on a Miata, not to mention the fact that the car is not used on the street.

What is up with 2 or 3 kids on any given honda forum who respond to EVERY SINGLE thread telling you that you're gay?? Damn is somebody stuck at home with nothing else to do or what? Jeez you people limit the forum & yourselves by acting that way. Everybody, including yourselves has/had to start somewhere so just remember that.

But seriously, running a straight pipe is not the best idea for a street car for several reasons... emissions problems you will have from removing the cat(which is legal & grounds for a hefty fine in most states), noise level will be extremely high so you will be a cop magnet, & ground clearance will be sacrificed because you have to run the piping under the rear subframe- you CANT cut that out.

It's also not a good idea to cut into the unibody for any reason because you will disturb the structural rigidity of the car & induce unwanted chassis flex.

My advice to you is to use a high-flow convertor, the longest glasspack muffler you can fit behind the convertor, & just run 2.25" pipe out through the factory routing. This will give you the maximum amount of exhaust flow & still keep your car street legal in most states... If you're only concerned with looks, then nevermind.

mep

I'd have to agree with mep and also 91teg. Not only would it look STUPID as hell but it would actually make your car illegal. Unless this car is strictly for the track its not worth the money and time your going to put into it. I saw a couple of neons rollin around with it and it IS LOUD, annoying and defenitly shouldn't be street legal.

Just my .02

well i was going to get that mugen twin loop off ebay becaus it was local but before i could offer the guy the cahs somebody used buy now for 345, so now i think im going to runa stock gsr can, i really dont like loud stuff like 5zigen and what not, i heard the twinloop from mugen is pretty quiet, what do you guys know about spoon mufflers?
im running a stock d16 in my car right now until i go thorough emiisioons, its only once ever 2years up here, and i dont know yet if im even going to license the car or just use it for racing-depending if i get this 95 hatch

i must have over looked the gas tank being in the way of a straight pipe, my cars up right now so ill take a look when i get home

so straight pipe no cat with a 00 gsr can? whats that good for performance wise should i even bother with it becaus my freind has headerback froma stock gsr in his garage

I'll still be using my cat and have a straight through muffler on custom piping. It will still be legal as long as I pass emissions visually and via sniffer. I just like the looks of the DTM cars with their center up exhausts and underbody aerodynamics. I am not at all a body kit kind of guy, but the lower and cleaner I can get my car, the more aerodynamic drag I'm gonna shave off, the better.

Originally posted by MikeBergy@Nov 24 2003, 03:18 PM
I just like the looks of the DTM cars with their center up exhausts and underbody aerodynamics.

Oh dont get me wrong, center exit exhausts look the business when they are properly executed! ...just not an option on most street cars to do it correctly.

mep

Back