1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Strange behavior, wouldn't hold speed

Discussion in 'General Tech and Maintenance' started by 90B16a1si, Jan 9, 2007.

1. 90B16a1si

90B16a1si Member

I was driving back from a friend's shop and the car started (EF with B16a) not being able to hold a steady speed, it would only accelerate. I had to slow down and then speed up over and over. Good thing I am old, because it would have been embarrassing. I turned the car off obviously to fill up with gas and it was fine after that. I would think bad gas but the car had been fine for 150 miles so far before this happened. I've already replaced the tank, pump, fuel filter, and hardwired a switch for the fuel pump because the relay went out. Its been running great since I did all that but now I am worried about taking it on a long trip because of what happened yesterday. The only thing I found was a tiny amount of gas on the fuel filter so I tightened it all down again when I got home. My gas mileage has been around 26mpg with spirited driving. Any thoughts?

2. D See 2

D See 2 Senior Member

sounds like ignition timing problem.

3. welfare

welfare Ancient Member

:werd:

4. 90B16a1si

90B16a1si Member

I took the car on a long drive after I tightened the crap out of the fuel filter and it seemed fine. Maybe it was sucking air into the fuel or something bizzare. I wish I knew.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted