Strange behavior, wouldn't hold speed

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

90B16a1si

I was driving back from a friend's shop and the car started (EF with B16a) not being able to hold a steady speed, it would only accelerate. I had to slow down and then speed up over and over. Good thing I am old, because it would have been embarrassing. I turned the car off obviously to fill up with gas and it was fine after that. I would think bad gas but the car had been fine for 150 miles so far before this happened. I've already replaced the tank, pump, fuel filter, and hardwired a switch for the fuel pump because the relay went out. Its been running great since I did all that but now I am worried about taking it on a long trip because of what happened yesterday. The only thing I found was a tiny amount of gas on the fuel filter so I tightened it all down again when I got home. My gas mileage has been around 26mpg with spirited driving. Any thoughts?

I took the car on a long drive after I tightened the crap out of the fuel filter and it seemed fine. Maybe it was sucking air into the fuel or something bizzare. I wish I knew.

Back