Strange Distributor Rotor Problem

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

poch333

Hello, I recently replaced the distributor rotor on my 95 Civic (SOHC D16 variant, non-vtec, PGM-FI, 16v 1.6L) because it was badly corroded.

After two months, I checked the new rotor and it seems that the problem is returning. There is a burned spot right where the old one was corroded. What could be causing this?

Thanks!

Attachments

• rotor_burn.jpg
    rotor_burn.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 709
It's normal and there's nothing you can do to stop it. Every month or so, just pull the dist. cap off and use a small file to clean the rotor. Same goes with the lead terminals inside the dist. cap. There will be a film of corrosion on those as well.

yeah my cap and crap do that also. you cant stop that? i dont like cleaning my distributor that much, but my car backfires sometimes if i dont.

The burn mark is from 50k volts jumping an air gap. You should replace the cap and rotor every 20k miles or so if you demand a lot from your ignition system. Getting corroded in there could mean that the small rubber gasket that seals the cap off from the atmosphere isn't there or is cracked. The plug wires should seal tight to the terminals and the cap should seal to the distributor body, making the area where the rotor is a sealed area. I have never ever ever cleaned a distributor rotor. I just drive the thing until it is ready to be changed, even on boosted setups you shouldn't have any problems. Also, you should change the cap and rotor together at the same time.

You don't by any chance have some kind of MSD coil or ignition box something do you?

b4 you buy msd crap get oem replacement parts for your dizzy i know that that rotor is not a hondo rotor the honda rotors have a much finer conductor and fiberglass insulation on the two out side edges use one trust me its better same goes for the cap

Back