strange low throttle hesitation issue w/b20 integra out of ideas...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

cueballB20

My car- 91 integra gs. 98 jem B20B running obd0 electronics and harness. I bought it this way from a tow yard for 500$.

At low throttle (10-30%) the engine hesitates and spudders almost as if timing is SERIOUSLY off. Lurches in and out of power band. No backfiring although it feels like there would be.
Checked timing w/gun. Its perfect.
Replaced ignition from the rotor to the plugs.
Checked all electrical connections twice.
Throwing code 13 (barometric pressure sensor) I can't seem to find a straight awnser on where this sensor is. Some say its located on the passenger kick panel. Others say its inside the Ecu. Both of those statements make no sense wouldn't it need tosend be integrated to the intake or at the very least under the hood?

A huge thanks in advance to any suggestions. I bought this car so I could sell my truck and get me and my wife into a house as we are expecting in april.

Thanks you guys.

Last edited:
Also this issue sometimes comes and goes. Completely random so far. Drives great when it decides not to have the hesitation. I would compare the feeling to driving a carburated vehicle without warming it up at all.

91 Aura Integra
98 JDM B20B swapped
AEM cold air intake
Greddy header
Custom exhaust

Last edited:
I'm willing to try anything. I'll run it without and see if it helps. Thank you.

91 Aura Integra
98 JDM B20B swapped
AEM cold air intake
Greddy header
Custom exhaust

u any good with hondas? cant get my 1996 civic to start tried everything timing coil dist. bout to give up on it can the crank position sensor be bad?

Start your own thread and I'll try to help you out.

91 Aura Integra
98 JDM B20B swapped
AEM cold air intake
Greddy header
Custom exhaust

Will do. I'll let you guys know. Thank you for the help

91 Aura Integra
98 JDM B20B swapped
AEM cold air intake
Greddy header
Custom exhaust

The barametric pressure sensor is the same as the MAP sensor. You can find it on your throttle body or intake manifold. Your ECU needs a good signal from this in order to run correctly. This is most likely causing your problem. It also sounds like you might have a vacuum leak. Does the idle hunt or is it abnormally high? A vacuum leak will cause the car to run lean, especially during the 10-30% range you describe. This will cause the hesitation/sputtering.

Alright guys so here is where I am so far, sorry for taking so long to reply.
I took some advice from someone else and seen how the car drove without the TPS plugged in. Come to find out the problem I spoke of vanished but was replaced by some nasty delay in throttle response. So heres what I did.
I replaced and installed a new Throttle Positioning Sensor.
I cleaned my EACV out very well.
I re did the ground for my battery as well as my main ground (they where shotty).

My idle dropped to much more noraml level (700-900) still fluttering a little tiny but but nothing serious. Still code 13 from my ECU. The car drove awesome much more power and amazing throttle response. But after a short drive (4 miles) it began doing the same thing as before. So I unplugged it again and it drove the same as described before. When I got home I checked the plug and wiring for the actual plug itself and it appears to be badly damaged and cracked. Prehaps this describes why the problem comes and goes randomly? I am repairing it as we speak, its not likely that its causing the problem but who knows.

In response to the post before this, should I check the connections and like on the MAP sensor? Are you saying that the "barometric pressure sensor" is the MAP sensor?

Thanks for your help guys.

So after replacing the TPS and the problem still coming back I started checking all electronic connections and found that the plug for the TPS was actually pretty muffed up. I covered the plug in gorilla glue and put it in a small vice. Appears to have fixed the problem.

Back