Strange noise from b20 swap

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I have a b20 swap in my 96 dx hatch. I am running KYB AGX struts with ground control coilovers. When I brake really hard, or hit a decent bump, the passenger side front area makes a loud pop sound. The spring is seated properly. It made the noise before I had the gc's on. Could it be the axle popping out of the tranny??? It seems to be securely seated when I check. Any ideas?

Originally posted by sureshot007@Aug 30 2005, 08:09 AM
I have a b20 swap in my 96 dx hatch. I am running KYB AGX struts with ground control coilovers. When I brake really hard, or hit a decent bump, the passenger side front area makes a loud pop sound. The spring is seated properly. It made the noise before I had the gc's on. Could it be the axle popping out of the tranny??? It seems to be securely seated when I check. Any ideas?
[post=547209]Quoted post[/post]​

I have the same thing happening in my Camry, I wonder wtf it is.

also check to make sure your ball joint castle nut is tight, all susp. bolts etc.

Most likely your ball joint is gone or a tie rod end. Check all you components and let us know.

Struts brand new - and it's not blown.

Could be the castle nut. I was thinking about that last night. When I was putting everything back together, I was having a hard time with that one because the impact was just spinning the whole thing and not tightening. Any tips on making this work?

did you put the bump stops on?

Originally posted by formby@Sep 1 2005, 09:14 AM
did you put the bump stops on?
[post=548225]Quoted post[/post]​

Yes I put the bump stops on. I installed acording to manufacture's instructions.

Checked the lower ball joint castle nut - it was a little loose. Tightened that up with an impact. But I got the noise again today. I am fairly certain that everything is tight on that side, but I will double check that tonight.

So, the only difference between the passenger and drivers side (noise coming from passenger side):

Disconnect ball joint on PS, not on DS.
PS axle didn't come with snap ring on it - so I took the one of my old d-series axle and threw it on.
Since I compressed the snap ring too much, it started sliding out of the transmission. I spread it a little, and threw it back on - doesn't seem to be coming out anymore.
I didn't have any of these issues with the DS.

Any other suggestions?

are you sure you put the little washers in place when you assembled the strut/spring/top hat?

here's a stupid idea - open hood, push down on the car if the strut rod is moving up/down then im willing bet you didnt do it right.

if not, sorry man. good luck finding where your fuck up is.

I have done all of the regular troubleshooting. It was making the noise before I swapped the H&R springs for the GC's, and when I pulled them apart and put them back together, I made sure that I had everything together correctly - I even looked up the service manual just to make sure.

Originally posted by sureshot007@Sep 3 2005, 08:58 PM
I have done all of the regular troubleshooting. It was making the noise before I swapped the H&R springs for the GC's, and when I pulled them apart and put them back together, I made sure that I had everything together correctly - I even looked up the service manual just to make sure.
[post=549291]Quoted post[/post]​

Check your CV joints dude. I was bullshittin with my friend today, a mechanic of 30 years or so experience, and told him that my Camry was makiin that sound frequently. He heard the sound himself when i pulled up in front of his garage, and he said he was almost positive that it was the CV joint. I trust his opinion and I'm gonna have him inspect it this week. Check on that dude.

i had this problem also, it turned out to be the bushings on the a arm up top.
There are two bushings, and mine were bad, so when i would stop, the A-arm would hit metal and stop; instead of staying in place and springing back on take off.
I used a screw driver to pry on the A-arm and noticed that it stayed to the side. But on my passenger side, i pried on the A-arm and it would spring back into the center of the bushings.
Check that out :)

Back