Strange Win XP issue

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

CRX-YEM

Super Moderator
VIP
So a friend of mine calls me with a problem. I head over take a look at it. Starts up with a stop code 0x00000050, page fault in non paged area. So I take the drive out attach it to another system do a chkdsk /f and chkdsk /r. Scanned for viruses etc...

Loaded the registry hive disabled some programs from running at startup. Put the drive back in the computer boot and still the same stop code. So I backed up his data.

Tried to boot with a BartPE bootdisc, boots up get a Windowsxp loading screen and bam BSOD with a different stop code then try to boot with a WinXP SP2 install disk. System boots and then BSOD with a stop code.

The system is a dell so I've used the untilities installed that do a system check, everything passes. I'm actually stumped any ideas ?

I'm going to try and boot with a Win XP SP2 install disk w/ no hard disk attached to see if I still end up with a stop code.

but in the meantime any ideas would be great

try creating a new boot sector. ive had times where it would loop or BSOD and i couldnt figure it out. however, when i popped in a windows cd, got into recovery console and created a new boot sector, it would worked.

thanks for the quick replies, I'm thinking it may be a bad mbr. I don't have a windows machine at home to for a fdisk -mbr so I'll have to try it at work on Monday.

Well managed to find some ntfs tools for linux, fixed the mbr and so far all is well.

Back