1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Strange Win XP issue

Discussion in 'Computers, Games, Electronics etc' started by CRX-YEM, Nov 14, 2009.

1. CRX-YEM

CRX-YEM Super Moderator Moderator VIP

So a friend of mine calls me with a problem. I head over take a look at it. Starts up with a stop code 0x00000050, page fault in non paged area. So I take the drive out attach it to another system do a chkdsk /f and chkdsk /r. Scanned for viruses etc...

Loaded the registry hive disabled some programs from running at startup. Put the drive back in the computer boot and still the same stop code. So I backed up his data.

Tried to boot with a BartPE bootdisc, boots up get a Windowsxp loading screen and bam BSOD with a different stop code then try to boot with a WinXP SP2 install disk. System boots and then BSOD with a stop code.

The system is a dell so I've used the untilities installed that do a system check, everything passes. I'm actually stumped any ideas ?

I'm going to try and boot with a Win XP SP2 install disk w/ no hard disk attached to see if I still end up with a stop code.

but in the meantime any ideas would be great

2. endlesszeal

endlesszeal Senior Member

try creating a new boot sector. ive had times where it would loop or BSOD and i couldnt figure it out. however, when i popped in a windows cd, got into recovery console and created a new boot sector, it would worked.

3. endlesszeal

endlesszeal Senior Member

also, if you can try running mem86+. it could be a RAM problem. and when booting, unplug all unnecessary hardware eg usb pen drives, ipods, etc...lastly, it could be a bad update?

Page Fault error Stop 0x00000050 and KB941229? - Vista Forums

some ideas i found.. i kno its vista, but could fit the bill.

4. CRX-YEM

thanks for the quick replies, I'm thinking it may be a bad mbr. I don't have a windows machine at home to for a fdisk -mbr so I'll have to try it at work on Monday.

5. CRX-YEM

Well managed to find some ntfs tools for linux, fixed the mbr and so far all is well.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted