strange wiring gremlins- ecu related

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

handlebarsfsr

i have an obd2 b series swap into a 5th gen that refuses to start. the car only sporadically primes the fuel pump and kicks the relay, but it does do it sometimes. if i dont connect 'd' to my ecu, it will kick and prime every time. if i plug in d, i will turn on neither the fuel pump or the main relay, and it prevents anything to go to the dizzy. without 'd' i get both f uel and spark, but it wont start. the car is also throwing a cel code 4, for crank position sensor, but i just replaced the dizzy with a brand new one and it didnt fix the problem. i rechecked all my grounds, and they all appear to be working. yesterday, all i had to do was shake the clips on the passenger side shock tower to make the relay kick over with all 3 plugs in the ecu, but today that doesnt work.

that does sound very strange. if wiggling those shock tower plugs changed something then id probe around that area more, unplug them, tug on the wires see if any pop out of hte back, look for the "green death" on the wiring see if any are corroded.

what ECU are you using, i assume by 5th gen you mean an EG, so you used a obd2 b series. what wiring harness did you use? did you use an OBD1 dizzy, did you use obd1 injectors. TDC codes on OBD1 setups are always from the distributor. are you sure it was a good dizzy? is the timing correct? did you do a belt on it or anything before swapping??

let me clarify. its an ls/vtec, b16a2 head on an obd2 ls block, but im running obd1 wiring harness and chipped p28 ecu. ive been fiddling with the shock tower wires for hours, with no luck. disconnecting "d' at the ecu is the only thing that repeatedly causes the fuel pump to prime, but i have no idea why, or what on plug d could possibly cause that to happen.

Back