strange wiring issues (90 4dr)

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

78civic

I don't know if it has been going on since purchasing it last couple of weeks ago but I did change out the L-RR tail assy to the one that doesn't have the little box mounted inside.
That one seems fine.. It's when I push the brake peddle that the clock/cluster dim down and the F-R marker/turn lights up?? And noticed that the R-rr tail assy doesn't light with brakes..

I hate wiring.. Anyone who loves it care to take a stab at it??

I know the brakes are on the A side (always hot) but no bad fuses.
The radio had some wires cut out of the body harness that I'll be fixing later but this is got me scratching my head.

E

when you switched setups, did you include the correct ground wire?

also, did you solder your wires?

Actually I didn't know I had a problem until i drove at night to get some movies with my youngins. I pulled up infront of blockbusters' and when i pressed the brakes, i saw the pass/fr marker light in the reflection of the store window. Pressed it a few more times and noticed the clock dimming down also. ???
I switched the L-Rr tail light out because the lower outside corner was damaged along with the little metal strip under it.

I had stripped a 4dr about 8 or so years ago and still had the pair of lenses. I thought Cool, I can just pop this in and be done. It switched out ok, but that little box that the wires plug into wasn't on the replacement and there wasn't the little 'flare' of plastic that goes up to the inner corner of the trunk lip. I did have to replace a socket that the bulb was burnt out and was corroded into itself and took one from another lens harness.
I'm thinking of just swapping the other side out to see if it makes a difference in the morning
But it just throws me on how i'm not blowing fuses, but yet there is a deffinite draw thru that particular circuit.
I'm going to be replacing the carpet and already popped in some teg FR seats for fittment (3 out of 4 holes line up!!) so when I eventually do the carpet, I'll get my old bones under and see if whoever wired up the radio did something goofy or not. It didn't have an alarm on it either.
If all else fails, I'll just use the orig lens harness back on that side.

We have a pretty easy vehicle inspection down here and it passed right after I got the car so it DID work before.. I'll just have to mess with it more. It's kinda hard doing it by oneself without mirrors to see what's lighting up or not.

And thanks for the responses. E
(no solder, just crimp)

Last edited:
crimped are good. electrical tape at a minimum is where you can get into trouble hehe. i'd say test the crap out of everything with a multimeter.

Back