Street bike problem

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

ventolin5

I need to fix a honda cbr 600f hurricane. I know its not a car and is kind of out of place on this forum but I know that there is a lot of you fellow tuners that have street bikes as well.

My problem is that sometimes when riding it it will run out of gas or at least thats exactly what it feels like.(with a full tank of gas) Usually if you sit there and wait a few miniutes you can start it back up and ride home. Seems like fuel flow isnt keepin up er sumthin. I replaced the fuel filter, any other ideas on what it might be or ideas on things to check/replace?

Ok let me get this straight....so youre saying when you ride it the gas runs out? I mean im not a genius or anything but it takes gas to run it...and its going to run out... Or are you saying you think you have a gas leak?

I am sure that the tank is over 3/4 full.
No gas leaking.
Just when i ride it sometimes it will die on me like it ran out of gas.(with plenty of gas in the tank)
Then after sitting on the side of the road for like 5 min like a fool, it will start up and ride fine again. (usually)
I have had to walk it home a couple of times after i couldnt get it to start again, but then later on it would start up fine again.

oh ok..didnt understand there for a min. well it could be something in your carbs man... something that is restricting the flow and when you pull back the throttle(not saying thats you are dogging it but accelerating) its just leaning out and cuts of b/c the gas flow is restricted too much.. know what i mean? you might need a carb rebuild since the bike is getting old and has it sit up a lot? like not much riding but every once in a while b/c that can cause carbs on them to guke(<--sp?) up real bad...seen it alot on olderbikes and some cars.

Ya, it was sitting for quite some time.
Carbs need work. That sounds about right, but im not gonna fuk with them I hate carbs and its got four of them er something and they all gotta be in sink im sure.

Thanks for the input, I was hoping maybe it would be something simple that I could replace or adjust myself but o-well. Ever had carb work done on a street bike? or just have an idea on what would be a resonable cost for the work to be done?

ive been workin on harleys for a while but only streetbikes a short time...the basics are the same but i would take it to a shop and have them check it out before you go paying for a carb rebuild. and im my opinion i would buy some used carbs that are in good condition to save some doe it that is the problem. There not too hard to install but i dont know your level of experience so...take it as you wish

good lookin out bro.

This whole thing is weird. It does it at weird times or not at all, like one day I may ride it and it will ride fine, next day it will die a block from my house, and then another day it will die after a long ride when im in the middle of nowhere.

I actually just sold the bike to my boss...and i kinda want it to work right for him ya know.

Then im gonna go and buy a newer bike.

Originally posted by ventolin5@Feb 5 2004, 11:14 AM

Then im gonna go and buy a newer bike. 

good decision.. 

I dont know what kind to get, cant make up my mind so many good bikes.
think ill make a poll.

I would suggest buying one upon your experience....IMO...i wouldnt buy one considering how long you have been riding...but how well you ride...i mean i know guys that can blister gsxr1000(older model) on turns w/ a cbr 600 (b/c of the weight difference and experience....just my .02...but i wouldnt do a poll...check out the bikes you like and go test drive some of them and see what the normal wear and tear is like w/ them...see what needs to be repaired more often on some bikes than other...just like a new/used car...but a LOT more fun :p

Check the pet cock. Sounds like it may be clogged. Restricting gas from the carbs. If it was a problem with your carbs it wouldnt run right any of the time.

Back