street bike

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Insurance is weird it goes by your county AA county could be 800 a year to insure a GSX-R750 but in PG county it could be 2500 a year for the same coverage

my CBR cost me 35 bucks a month for full coverage
but I've seen other people get quotes for lets say a GSXR1000 and its been $9999 in other words they would not insure it

my bandit was dirt cheap to insure but my CBR when I was under 21 was $120 a month then went down to $88 that was just lia and comp

the EX250 is really not all that bad tire wise you are just use to seeing Supersport bikes
check out a harley or even some of the honda/yamaha crusers they all have tiny front wheels

shit just look at a chopper =)

I don't think you want the heaviest bike in the world, but a 250 seems small to me. My dirtbike is a 465cc two stroke. Get all of your personal protective equipment first. Buy a smaller not new bike. Let your fear be your guide. I started on a teenie dirtbike(100cc POS). That 465cc monster was my next bike. I was so scared of it, there's no way I'd do anything crazy. You need to learn how to drive over train tracks and uneven ground and the little hazards that everyday will bring. I could do 150 and not be scared, but the fact is, you don't have to make a mistake to get hurt. Someone else will do it for you. Watch your ass and talk with some experienced riders about shit to watch out for. Some grandma might pull out right in front of you at 3 mph, shit happens.

Originally posted by jeffie7@Mar 27 2004, 07:47 PM
I use to hang out with Travis Pastrana every weekend at the track when I was like 7

You ever ride street bikes with Pastrana? My boyfriend & I live across the street from him & don't see him ride his street bike very much. I think he's got a GSXR 750?

Originally posted by jeffie7@Mar 27 2004, 07:54 PM
the EX250 is really not all that bad tire wise you are just use to seeing Supersport bikes

Maybe... my jaw hit the floor when I saw the rear tire on my boyfriend's new 954! The exhaust is huge too! That bike's just a big bitch in general.

If you're not a VERY experienced rider, I would not suggest going any higher than a 600. And wait until you're 100%+ comfortable on that bike before upgrading. If you get a 900+cc bike off the bat, you're going to kill yourself or get very fucked up.

I've never ridden before & wanted to get a street bike this summer. But I'm also not stupid. I've had one friend who died on a bike & lots of others who have wrecked badly. So I just bought a dirt bike to learn the general feel & will ride that until I'm very comfortable, then I'll get a street bike. I have to learn to crawl before I learn to walk.

I understand that you've ridden dirt bikes before, but I've seen plenty of other people who said the same thing, got a bike that's too powerful for them, & wrecked. Just be smart & be careful!

If this is your very first bike? I recommend a 92-96 kawasaki 600 or so. BUY A CHEAP bike I cannot stress this enough. It will get dropped and it will get scratched etc.... 90's Kawasakis are a very thin bike which is easy to control. The throttle response isnt touchy, and some have a fuel gauge of some sorts. After riding that a bit, sell it to a friend that wants to learn or whoever and move on to a 2001 Honda Cbr if thats what your brand of choice. The 2001 + 600 f4i Has fuel injection. Fuel injection makes maintence a lot easier. BTW no love for the Gixxer? :) My buddy just bought a 2001 F4i like a week ago and he loves it.

Originally posted by SasSi+Mar 27 2004, 09:50 PM-->
@Mar 27 2004, 07:47 PM
I use to hang out with Travis Pastrana every weekend at the track when I was like 7

You ever ride street bikes with Pastrana? My boyfriend & I live across the street from him & don't see him ride his street bike very much. I think he's got a GSXR 750?

the GSX-R600 is gregs bike he's Travis's cusin
travis has a bunch of off road bikes/4 wheelers and many other goodies but his street bike is a Suzuki Cruisers he cannot ride supersport bikes becuase it hurts his knees to have his legs back far enough to reach the pegs "far back on street bikes"

Todays weather started out shitty it did however get nicer as the day went on I managed to put in a good 2+ hours of riding time today =) kept my speeds kinda low my max for today was 136mph sigh =)

Back