Street Legal Dirt Bike in NJ

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

SlushboxTeggy

It's only stupid if it doesn't work
VIP
State of New Jersey - Motor Vehicle Commission

I have a friend in PA looking for a dual titled dirt bike for me. Dual titles in NJ are few and far between, so when they go up for sale the prices get crazy. From my understanding of the reading I've done, if I bring a bike that is already dual titled into the state then I shouldn't have a problem just registering it like any other bike brought in from out of state. Anyone have any experience with dual titled dirt bikes in NJ?

you mean an off road bike, with headlamp, blinkers, speedometer, and etc?

dual titled meaning ORV and highway use?

you mean an off road bike, with headlamp, blinkers, speedometer, and etc?

dual titled meaning ORV and highway use?
this is what i assume hes talking about. here in washington that is what we used to have to do until this year, now we can add the parks get it inspected and get a plate

I want a street legal dirt bike. NJ restricts them to all hell. They wont grant any new dual titles. So you have to find a bike that already has one. Making them expensive when they do go up for sale.

However, from what I've read, if you bring a dual title from another state, it registers as a street legal bike. PA is packed full of dual titles. I want to buy one there and bring it back. I'm just asking if anyone has dealt with street legal dirt bikes or making a dirt bike street legal.

Your talking about a dual sport bike, such as this?

391d3_dual-sportBike.jpg

That comes with head/tail and stoplights and turn signals from the factory.

If that is the case, atleast in OH they are titled as a street legal motorcycle. Even here if your trying to take a dirtbike and convert it to a dual sport its a pain in the ass.

Well I'd more than likely be getting one that was converted (lights and such added after). But I intend to get one that is already registered and titled as street legal from PA.

Now that I type it that way, I see no reason why it would be any different then buying any motorcycle from PA. If it's already street legal, why would NJ not allow it to remain that way?

SlushboxTeggy said:
I realize Enduros exist. They are expensive. Converted bikes aren't as bad.

Converted bike are also alot lighter and usually handle alot better to. I would never buy a factory enduro

Back