Streetbikes

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Originally posted by TrailorParkPimp@Aug 26 2003, 01:58 AM
ive seen a video of a WS6 getting out ran by scooter that had nitrous..so whats your point James?? hehe

I HAVE that video. But that doesn't count because it's not street legal. :p

first things first call around for insurance!
if its your first bike stay away from supersport bikes stick with half naked bikes like the Kaw ZR7, Suzuki Bandit, Suzuki SV650

Im 20 its been over 4 years since I had my only speeding ticket and insurance on my 2000 Bandit 600 is $220 a year insurance for a CBR600 of the same year is about $1200-1400 a year on avg "I just called 5+ places last week"
the cheapst I found for a 98 Honda VTR1000 was $600 the highest was $3600

it all depends on what state and city you are in

theres two guys on the suzuki board I go to that were looking to buy busas

ones 24 with a wife and the other is 47 with wife and kids both have clean driving recs

the 24 year old was quoted 1200 a year the 47 year old "living in a different part of the country" was quoted 4700 a year

as far as your first bike goes the EX500 would be an ok bike but you would hate it after about 2 days "Ive been on a 2003 model" runs 12s "so the specs say" but its just so friggin tiny

my top pick for you would be one of the naked bikes TONS less to fix when you drop them and much cheaper to buy, insure, and keep up to date "oil and such"

Jeff

Yamaha FZ1 !!!!!

A family friend just got one, the kids smart to, wears all JR gear all the time no matter what, and actually hasnt' broken 100 since he bought it 4 months ago.

It sounds like no one here knows much about street bikes! Heres our group www.verticalmischief.com As for a bike to get get what ever one suits you! Dont let anyone tell you what to start on! A 600 right.... no you can own a 929 or a 1000 and not be a gear head and youll be safe! I personally owned a 929 for my first bike! However yes I am getting a Hayabusa but im not getting it because it will go 200 plus! Im streching it.. lowering it.. putting an air shifter on it and maybe a nitrous kit! Get the bike that fits you! Not what people tell you to!

Originally posted by Accordturbo94@Aug 26 2003, 03:20 AM
It sounds like no one here knows much about street bikes!

You're right. I don't really get into two wheels of death... I just know Hayabusa's are quick as fuck and they seem to be sought after by many a biker.

Originally posted by highperboi@Aug 25 2003, 07:06 PM
you know with those naked bikes, can you put a body on it later?? cuz the body makes it look so clean.

Yeah Yamaha makes a fearing(sp) kit for the fz1 atleast

Its called a open fearing(sp) bike when it doesn't have a body. A buell would also be a good open fearing bike to choose from.

s3f4ad2d8afc98.jpg

Here was my bike... when It was at the dealership!

s3f4ad371ea616.jpg

I never crashed on my street bike! This is 5 days after I over shot a jump on my kx125! ended up with a number three concusion, bruised everything, and a broken rib! I like it when my bikes not in the air! One wheel is fine! not all anymore!

FZ1 is a great bike BUT its a detuned R1 motor making 10less HP
for a first bike it could get you in truble pretty fast
as with most supersport bikes

I think the odds are like 80+% of first time riders crashing or droping their bike within 6 months of owning it

:werd: My neighbor bought an r6, laid it down 11 days after owning it and broke the fearing and cracked a tail light.

I'm with jeffie on this one, contact your insurance company before you buy a bike. I pay out the ass for my duck. Also go with something small, most likely under 600cc's. I had a Honda CBR600 for my first bike, and it was a great beginner bike. But then again, I already knew the overall concept of the clutch and shifting because I raced dirt bikes.

IF you do plan on buying a bike, please buy your proper equipment. I can't even stress how important it is.

BTW- heres my bike... 99 Ducati 748S :worthy:

s3f1ccf74a6e5f.jpg

Alright, first off the reason i was considering the motorcycle was then i could just buy a POS car, and then spend on a decent bike. As for my size im only 5-8, 170 lbs so kind off mid sized, my friends GSXR 750 fellt pretty good, didn't drive it but rode on the back. i sat on it and it felt nice and comfortable. I really would prefer a Suzuki or Honda, those i like best. Oh and what do you mean by half naked?? different style body?? show a pic if u can

s3f4bf05555742.jpg

see no lower fairing you can buy an after market one if you want to add it but since its a naked bike insurance is well thru my insurance company
my 600 naked VS a basic 600 YZF "not a R6" $220 a year for the naked one $1000-1200 a year for a 600cc CBR/YZF/GSXR
keep in mind thats not full coverage!

fz_rear_right.jpg

FZ1 did very good on the reviews and if you plan on riding your bike a lot "more then 100 miles a day" DO NOT GET A SUPERSPORT bike!!!!
most naked bikes have a more upright seating setup so you can ride for hours with no pain

many bandit riders do cross country rides
try that on a GSX-R600

I going to sell my bandit sooner or later so if you are in the area...

Jeff

if he wants to spend 8800 bucks on a new bike then Im guessing around 2-3K a year on insureance then be my guest! its a nice bike other then the fact the seat is so friggin hard!!!!

sv650sa.jpg

Suzuki SV650S

if you want to keep it in the family check out the Honda CB900 its a full naked bike "no front fairing" but has an inline 4 900cc motor
it would make for a great dragbike

but for a starter bike it might be at tad to much power

insurance for me on a CB900 was 500 a year VS 1000-1200 for a 600cc full fairing bike

Jeff

Back