Stripped Head Bolt

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Sed8ed

Well I picked up a new (for me) B18b block for parts, for very cheap because the head bolts are stripped. The block has shotpeened rods, brand new pr3 pistons, micropolished crank and all new bearings (plus all the basics from an engine build). I was going to swap all the internals onto my existing b18a block but after looking at the damage, could I repair the threads? I was thinking of helicoiling the block but im not sure if I can use helicoils on aluminum (I have used them on cast iron blocks before). Suggestions?

the head bolts are stripped?? or the threads they go into are stripped??

if the head bolts are fucked, get arp head studs

retap them?? or are they incredibly fucked up??

It's the threads that they go into, inside the block... I already have arp's on my existing block. The previous owner reused the original head bolts multiple times and they bottomed out destroying the threads. There is almost no threads left in 2 of the holes but I haven't tested all of them yet.

Well, I checked with a few machine shops today... the cheapest I could find for repairing the block was around $300... I guess i'll just be swapping internals.

Back