Stripped tranny bolt?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

LsB16CrxHF

i go to bolt my tranny on to the motor i bought and alllll the bolts go in fine except one...the one right above the stamp on my b18a1 is entirely stripped like almost cleanly stripped...can i run without it? or shud i just hav it tapped or sumthing!?

If you can I would tap it just to be safe. There are some things you can sorta kinda get away with but I wouldnt mess with tranny bolts. Good luck.

dang, that is crazy, just swapped my new engine in and changed the clutch, and the tranny bolt is messed up, same one. I tried tapping it, but it is so messed up that i cant get the the tap even started. Any more suggestions?

if you can't get the tap started you're doing something wrong...

Originally posted by reckedracing@Mar 20 2005, 06:35 PM
if you can't get the tap started you're doing something wrong...
[post=476200]Quoted post[/post]​

werd.....try drilling the hole out first to the appropraite size for the corresponding tap. also...u might want to thing about helicoiling it in order to be able to use the same bolt and retain the right tensile strength of the bolt.

when i have a stripped bolt hole sometimes the tap will not start because there is nothing there to start it into and you can not turn a ratchet that fast to start it try useing an impact gun or an air ratchet on the tap when it starts run it about half way in then back it out then go in again thats the way she likes it ive done it plenty of times works great for me and her :D

yeah if it's stripped smooth and you drill it and retap it you're going to need a bigger bolt

trans bolts are pretty heavy duty fasteners, i wouldn't substitue hardware store crap for it-

like drive said, you could really look into a means to retain the stock bolt-

Back