1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stripped tranny bolt?

Discussion in 'HYBRID -> ED-EF / DA' started by LsB16CrxHF, Mar 20, 2005.

1. LsB16CrxHF

LsB16CrxHF Senior Member

i go to bolt my tranny on to the motor i bought and alllll the bolts go in fine except one...the one right above the stamp on my b18a1 is entirely stripped like almost cleanly stripped...can i run without it? or shud i just hav it tapped or sumthing!?

2. Drake

Drake Well-Known Member VIP

If you can I would tap it just to be safe. There are some things you can sorta kinda get away with but I wouldnt mess with tranny bolts. Good luck.

3. sol2hatch

sol2hatch Junior Member

dang, that is crazy, just swapped my new engine in and changed the clutch, and the tranny bolt is messed up, same one. I tried tapping it, but it is so messed up that i cant get the the tap even started. Any more suggestions?

4. reckedracing

reckedracing TTIWWOP VIP

if you can't get the tap started you're doing something wrong...

5. driver1

driver1 Senior Member

werd.....try drilling the hole out first to the appropraite size for the corresponding tap. also...u might want to thing about helicoiling it in order to be able to use the same bolt and retain the right tensile strength of the bolt.

6. dragntoys

dragntoys Member

when i have a stripped bolt hole sometimes the tap will not start because there is nothing there to start it into and you can not turn a ratchet that fast to start it try useing an impact gun or an air ratchet on the tap when it starts run it about half way in then back it out then go in again thats the way she likes it ive done it plenty of times works great for me and her :D

7. Slammed90Lude

Slammed90Lude Senior Member

yeah if it's stripped smooth and you drill it and retap it you're going to need a bigger bolt

trans bolts are pretty heavy duty fasteners, i wouldn't substitue hardware store crap for it-

like drive said, you could really look into a means to retain the stock bolt-

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted