stripped wheel nut

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Hey I stripped one of my wheel nuts and now I cant get it off. I have to use a special key to get it of but the nut is too stripped. Im not too sure if this is in the right forum but.... any suggestions?

sunofabitch the same shit happened to me. i took a pry bar inback of the nut and spun it off. thats the easy part. then you have to replace the stud.

Originally posted by 97hatch@Oct 11 2004, 05:07 PM
is it the threads or the surface
[post=401267]Quoted post[/post]​

Its the surface. Well I just drilled the centre of the stud and that worked.

What car is this for? All I know is that it's a bitch to change wheel studs in eg civics (front disc brakes suck... rear drums are easy). I ended up having to take mine in to the shop to have it done.

drill through it. use a heavy duty bit and some wd-40. you'll end up drilling through a good part of the stud. best bet is to get a bit 1/2 the size of the stud, and get one the size of the stud. start working the little one down about 1/4in, then work the big one down to meet it. to get the stud out, hit it with a nice hammer. you can buy a new stud at any auto store. easiest way to get it back in is to put it on, and use a few washers and thread an old school acorn open ended lugnut on it to pull it flush.

worked on my mirage. took sabrina ~6 hours, while i put on my agx/h&r combo on the other 4 corners.

Originally posted by jdm_civic_sirII@Oct 11 2004, 04:24 PM
Hey I stripped one of my wheel nuts and now I cant get it off. I have to use a special key to get it of but the nut is too stripped. Im not too sure if this is in the right forum but.... any suggestions?
[post=401254]Quoted post[/post]​

just hammer a tight fitting impact socket on the lug nut then break it loose...i've even seen tires shops do it to wheel locks when the customer looses the key

why do that when you can usually get another lock within a week for under 10 bucks on ebay?

or even go to the shop where you bought the wheels/lugs and order one from there.

Originally posted by TurboMirage@Oct 14 2004, 12:03 AM
why do that when you can usually get another lock within a week for under 10 bucks on ebay?

or even go to the shop where you bought the wheels/lugs and order one from there.
[post=402442]Quoted post[/post]​

when i did it...i was too scared to go any farther on the tire i had and i just got the car not knowing the dumb shit had wheel locks...and as far as ordering goes, some people just don't like to wait

Back