stripping paint

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

micah

anyone have any ideas on an easy way to strip paint from wheels?
ive done it before a few years gao, but forgot how much a pain in the ass it is.

right now im using aircraft stripper, scraping the paint off, then rinsing them.
ive already done it twice now on 2 dif wheels and am about to hit the sandpaper, but am looking for an easier and faster way for the last 2 wheels.

doing it this way im looking at 20-25 hours for all 4 to be done.

pain in my fucking ass

so if anyone has any awesome paint stripping kung fu techniques, lets hear em :wink:

Wire brush them abit to disturb the top coat, Spray with aircraft stripper, take another throw away wire brush to them, spray again, let sit and rinse....keep doing that til there is no paint.......dont apply the stripper when the wheel is wet...the water will neutrilize the stripper....

or send them to me..I'll sandblast them and send them back.... :laugh:

If you're having that hard of a time, just send them to me Micah. I'll gladly finish them off, it's no big deal :)

Quoted post[/post]]
Wire brush them abit to disturb the top coat, Spray with aircraft stripper, take another throw away wire brush to them, spray again, let sit and rinse....keep doing that til there is no paint.......dont apply the stripper when the wheel is wet...the water will neutrilize the stripper....

or send them to me..I'll sandblast them and send them back.... :laugh:

i would send them to you, but im already shipping them to cali and its pretty expensive.

isnt a wire brush pretty rough? wont it scratch the rims up?

got a drill or a grinder?

get a thin-wire brush

and a highrpm tool.

takes about an hour per wheel.

safe way = wire brush

non re-productive way = MEK -> methelethelkeytone (industrial strength nail polish remover) it works trust me but don't ask me how, and don't look up the MSDS sheets...

Spray then real good with enamel paint - any color.

Dry.

Spray them real good with Acrylic paint - wait 5 minutes

Run under water. Done.

Acrylic eats at enamel, Enamel covers acrylic. And this concludes your chemistry lesson today.

EDIT: No wait.. I may be wrong.. It may be the other way around. Look it up, one type eats the other type.

Fun Celerity fact:

Celerity learned this phenomonen while watching Airjockie's house over night. One night, Celerity decided to paint the wheel that Airjockie had just given him. Observe:
aat.jpg

They were White, until a sander removed the white from the front face. Celerity wanted them to be white again. So late one night, Celerity decided to start the painting project.... in the garage. Well, under the lighting of the garage (a warm lightbulb) the paint job looked incredible. It was smooth, had a plastic-like finish and overall, looked really good. So he mounted them on the Civic and went to bed.

Next morning Celerity awoke and took the Civic out of the garage. He stood back and observed the wheels in the daylight... something just didn't look right. There were like.. Flesh colored or beige.

Look at the picture again. See the house siding ? Yeah, Celerity painted his wheels with Airjockie's touch-up paint for the siding and it now matched the fucking house.

It was that day that Cel learned some good ways to get paint off of steel.

-> Steve

just use the aircraft stripper, let it sit for 30 mins(not in the sun), rinse and you shoud be good to go. or just send them to b16racern2nr so I could get my fat 5's

Quoted post[/post]]
just use the aircraft stripper, let it sit for 30 mins(not in the sun), rinse and you shoud be good to go. or just send them to b16racern2nr so I could get my fat 5's
:laugh:
2 are packed in the box right now :) I'm just waiting to get the rims so I can get the other 2 off my car. I bought 14 Cubic Feet of styrofoam peanuts too make sure your wheels are nice and safe in the box :mrgreen:

Back