Stubborn Crank Pulley Bolt

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Phil_Civic

Hey guys,

I'm in the middle of changing my water pump/timing belt on my 93 Civic. But I can't get the crank pulley bolt off.

I have air and an ingersoll rand impact gun that's supposed to make 780 ft lbs that isn't touching it. I've taken the starter off and tried jamming a big screwdriver or a pry bar in the flywheel and using my 24" breaker bar with no success.

I'm not crazy about the idea of heating that bolt up either...I've heard of guys lodging the breaker bar in there and cranking the engine to get it loose, but I think the engine turns the wrong way for that, and I'm not a fan of that method anyhow. My head is off at the moment so I couldn't try it if it did come to that.

My only thought now is dropping the trans and taking the flywheel off and using the flywheel bolts with a screwdriver to hold it steady...

Any ideas how to get that thing off?

Thanks a lot,
Phil

There is a special tool to hold the crank in place. I made my own little tool with a bolt and pipe wrench. Your crank has a hex shaped hole that gives you access to the crank bolt? If so, you can measure the diameter from one side to another and go buy a nut that size. I did this with my B16 and the nut I bought was a little on the big side. I ground it down with a table grinder until it fit in the crank hole like a glove. Then I took a pipe wrench to hold it as I slipped it into the crank hole. Then I took a socket (19mm...I think) and ratchet. Had a friend hold the pipe wrench to hold the bolt in place (which keeps the crank form turning) and I slipped the socket through the nut's hole. It popped off pretty easy with some man power and letting out all the frustration of the 1/2" impact not touching it the previous day.

You need a bigger impact. 1" Impacts should do it.

Just drive to a place that has the tool(any place that does large trucks should have it, even a tractor dealership should be able to do it), have them loosen it(don't forget to re-tighten it, possibly by hand/ratchet, as you don't want it to fall of, but it'll be easier to take off), and complete your disassembly at home.

The impact should look like this:
1+Air+Impact+Wrench+Sp700+1259769142.jpg

BTW, not all pulleys have the hex holding shape on them. Though, with a impact, you shouldn't need to use that tool.

Damn...how expensive is that thing? Rent it I guess. If its not a hex shape crank hole....then the big dawg impact or heating the bolt.

Harbor Freight probably has the cheapest. $130 on their website(IMO, one hell of a deal since I usually see them for around $400 and up; though the $400 guns are from reputable companies).

Just buy a honda crank pulley tool. It will come of with no problem. I got a brand new one off of ebay for $35. An unbeatable deal because they normally cost at least $50. I love it. It makes removing and installing the crank pulley a walk in the park:dj:

They cost $40 at NAPA. But as stated before, you don't need it if you're using an impact wrench(pulley doesn't move much anyways, and you can hold it with your hands or chain wrench if needed); they're useful if you're using the break-bar method or any methods that apply continuous high torque.

As K2e2vin stated before...it may not be Hex shaped. If it is...hell with that tool. I bough my bolt for $2.16 plus tax and I had the pipe wrench

I tried to hold the crank (before I made the tool) with a chain wrench on a rag (I'm scared to jack up the crank grooves and such) but it slipped off too easy. This frustrated me and I wasn't going to buy a bigger impact then the 1/2" I already tried to use. I guess i was lucky to have a hex shaped crank hole.

Last edited:
Alright, thanks guys. I didn't know about that tool to lock the pulley. I had considered going and renting a 1" impact. If the heavy duty guys would just do it for free though that'd be nice.

Thanks a lot for your help guys,
Phil

u can stuff cylinders 1,3 or 2,4 with rags so the engine cant rotate and loosely bolt the head back on, then use a 24" breaker and it should loosen right up. i had to do that on my 90 hatch when the timing belt broke.

u can stuff cylinders 1,3 or 2,4 with rags so the engine cant rotate and loosely bolt the head back on, then use a 24" breaker and it should loosen right up. i had to do that on my 90 hatch when the timing belt broke.

LMAO... i guess this would work

I've used a 1/2" ingersoll rand impact gun many times and it's removed that bolt no problem... I believe that the torque spec is 180 ftlbs on that bolt.

Assuming that you have full pressure at the gun, and the gun is in the highest torque setting, also make sure that you are using a good impact quality metric socket and no extension (or the smallest extension that is necessary). If that doesn't work, throw a little heat into it.

Here's an old school mustang trick. Turn the selector switch on the impact to tighten the bolt. Hit the trigger few times, then turn selector to loosen and pull the trigger. Presto-chango bob's your uncle.

Here's an old school mustang trick. Turn the selector switch on the impact to tighten the bolt. Hit the trigger few times, then turn selector to loosen and pull the trigger. Presto-chango bob's your uncle.

+1 done this b4, it works

Presto-chango bob's your uncle.

Hilarious.....And if tightening...loosing works for you...go for it. I had my 1/2" impact set at 180 and tried the technique....nada.

It frustrated me a lot. If its hex....make-a-the-bolt.....presto change-o pasta with gravy sauce

first heat it up, if you dont mind tool abuse, use a breaker bar with extension, and get a friend to hit the end of the bar with a hammer, the shock should loosen the bolt.

3/4 in air gun from grizzly with a good 3/4-1/2 adapter. 100-110 psi air pressure. has worked every time for me on all three of the hondas I have owned plus many more customer hondas.
edit: If you can trailer it down across the border I can pop that sucker loose for you at my shop

Back