1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

stuck alt.

Discussion in 'General Tech and Maintenance' started by BostonCX614, Apr 4, 2004.

1. BostonCX614

BostonCX614 Member

hey guys. I was working on my car this weekend and I need to remove my alternator. I removed all the connections and nuts/bolts..except one. There is a bolt that the whole alternator pivots on. I cant get this out. The alternator will pivot ok with some persausion and i have been hitting it with a ton of penetrating lube. any tricks or experience with this?

thanx

2. cws13

cws13 Senior Member

If that doesn't work you can hit it with a torch (on the nut only), if that doesn't do it-bust out the die grinder.

3. asmallsol

asmallsol Super Moderator

take the nut off the bolt, works good going from the bottom, then just tap the bolt out with a hammer, then use a pry bar to get it ther rest of the way out. Then to get the actual alterantor out of that one cradle, just use a pry bar and it will pop out. If I remember right, the braket that holds the alternator in can be removed with the alternator still in place. If that is true, just do that and seperate later.

4. BostonCX614

BostonCX614 Member

Cool. I got the nut off ok. I guess i just need to hit the bolt for real(i was hitting it but worried about damaging the threads...so took it easy).

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted