Stuck between a rock and a hard place. . .

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

CrazyAzn

Okay well im not really stuck per-say. But i cant figure out what to do with my valve train, what springs/cams to run and such. I'm still looking for a daily driver and don't want to many premature ware issues. Yes, i know that aftermarket cams will do this, but to minimize it while still making my 200Whp mark is my goal. I'm looking for a solid 2.0L gsr build.

Going to consist of:
Gsr bottom end bored/sleeved to 84.5
Compression ratio of about 11-8-1
RS machine ITR pistons
ITR oil/water Pump
Gsr rods
ARP studs everywhere

Head:
00 B16 head
PnP/valve job etc. . . the works

Bolt ons:
ITR 4-1 header ( smsp or hytech header later on )
2.5in magnaflow exhaust

sorry, i also only listed parts that i believe are important to my question, which is what cams/valve train should i run. . . I'm looking to stay around the 700-800 dollar range. Also looking for cam recommendations and opinions.

For cam companies ive looked into skunk, and mostly blox. Does anyone run blox cams? Eugen from prostreet swears by them. . . I was looking at s2s2 or blox b's. I need my car to be streetable. No s2s3, pro 2's and such. . . there pretty much to aggressive for everyday use

Ive looked into companies like RM, Omni, Skunk, UGR, Blox. . . but then ive also heard from a couple heads that omni, and rm valve trains are horrible. . . or well maybe not horrible but not to par with other companies. Where as skunk2 is a bigger name but is over priced. Omni used to work for skunk, blox is a break off of skunk. . .it honestly seems to me that most of these other companies are just pissed off skunk employees that made there own company to give it to skunk. Ive also heard that UGR, blox, omni and so on all utilize skunks old manufacture.

But what im curious about, is what are peoples views on valve train? what are your recommendations? yes, ive heard that rocket does good work, i dont really care to spend 1000+ for his work.

Valve train/cam combo recommendations???

build is going to be for around 8-9k depending where ilose power. but no higher than 9.5 ever.

Last edited:
you say you want your car to be streetable/daily driver, but you are going to run 11.8-1 compression, that is not really a daily driver engine. warm ups and such, I had an 11.4:1 ls/vtec and I had to warm it up before driving it just so I made sure everything would stay together and not bend a rod or something. I also live in the northeast, so mornings are cold here.

yeah i live in ca. . . so the weather is rather weird. but im also running my current poormans itr at about 11-8 compression and it runs fine. . . no complaints on my end. also that is a very helpful write up, thank you. . . im also running a s2 Pro series IM and thinking about picking up a victor X.

have you heard anything about those b20 itr pistons from rs machine?

Back