1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

stuck bolt

Discussion in 'General Tech and Maintenance' started by jiahanhao, Nov 26, 2003.

1. jiahanhao

jiahanhao Senior Member

I have a stuck bolt on my bloody catalytic converter... it's one of the three on the back of it, where it mates up to the exhaust. I tried soaking in WD40 overnight, which didn't work, and then I tried the heat and candle trick (which broke one of the others, but this one won't budge.) I can't fit my impact wrench on it (no room), and I'm at a loss for what to do... Any suggestions?

2. GSRCRXsi

GSRCRXsi Super Moderator Moderator VIP

well if you already broke one, why dont you just get out a dremel tool and cut the bitch off. dremels love to eat through metal :) . but a candle wont do shit, its not hot enough. if you want to try heating it up, you need to get an acetyline torch and get it red hot, then try, becareful not to melt it.

3. knowledge

knowledge Senior Member

I just delt with the same problem on Saturday bro when I was putting on my exhaust! Breaker bar and a pipe on the end of it to get some leverage. If it is the one on top... You will have to bend or remove that heat shield above it for you to be able to gain better access and movement of the wrench! Good luck, I know it is a biotch!

4. jiahanhao

jiahanhao Senior Member

You misunderstand me :p ... you take an oxy-acetylene torch to heat the bolt, then stick a candle in there, by capillary action the wax should be drawn into the threads, making it easier to take the bolt off, this method usually beats any of the thread lubricants, including PB blaster...

I think i'm gonna have to cut it off with the dremel, I've rounded the hell out of that bitch...

5. Accordturbo94

Accordturbo94 Senior Member

Make sure you cant just use an extension with a univeral joint on the end, than use he impact!

6. Accordturbo94

I see you said you rounded it! Have fun.. my idea no longer works!

7. jiahanhao

jiahanhao Senior Member

Where can I get an u-joint for a impact? I don't feel like running down the snap-on guy =P... There's still one bolt i haven't fucked up yet =P.

Also to clarify, when I said I broke the other bolt, I meant got it off correctly...

8. 92civicb18b1

92civicb18b1 The Trisexual

I just used a propane torch, got it glowing red and used two pairs of pliers to loosen the nut & bolt. The one on the top was a bitch, so i just broke the old cat off and just cut the bolt off, then I bolted up my new one. It's kinda nice to hear my car NOT runnin open header.

9. Accordturbo94

And store should have them! Sears.. and Autoparts store, it just allows you to go at an angle! It might do the trick! if you have anyfriends that have tools... chances are they will have one!

10. Tonyd0821

Tonyd0821 Banned

too lazy to read the post before me....

goto sears, get the craftsman stripped bolt remover. works like a charm.

11. jiahanhao

jiahanhao Senior Member

Well... if anyone really cares, I ended up just dremeling the bastards off.. my impact wrench wouldn't even turn the damn bolts :(

12. iluvepills1985

iluvepills1985 Member

say fuk the cat and cut the fuckin thing out unless you live in cali or are under warranty itll make your car sound bad ass.....i did it to the civic and i got a shitty ass apc muffler but now it sounds good as hell but just cut the damn thing off and run pipe

13. E_SolSi

E_SolSi Member of the 20 nut club Moderator VIP

yeah if you like a loud rhaspy ass fuckin bumble bee sound its great

:bash:

14. h22bubbleback

h22bubbleback Senior Member

..... :ufucktard: :asshat: :wtf2: :gayflag: :beat: :usuck: :nobreed: :puke: :fuckyou: :ghey: :wtf: :pie:

did u say apc?

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted