Stuck in park

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

402streetracer

I was wondering if anybody knew what i could check too see. The shifter (auto) on my 95 civic is stuck in park, if i stick the key in the release hole it works and drives fine but if not it' stays in P and wont move. Any help would be appreciated thanks

problem with the interlock control unit, or problem with the wiring to the shift lock solinoid, or the solindoid itself is bad. or it's not getting a signal from the brake pedal switch informing it when the brake is pressed. those are the only peices of that circuit.

i didnt realize i put this in the wrong section, could a mod please move it. thanks

not necessarily if it's a break in the circuit after the junction where it splits (one part goes to the relay for your brake lights, the other to your ECU). or a break in the circuit between the ECU and the interlock unit

it could just be the solinoid is shot. i dont know off hand how to test it. is yours known to be good? have u tested it or swapped it out?

Nope i havent changed/tested it i'm fixing up the sedan to sell to buy a 5spd but yesterday when i went go to the autoparts in it it was stuck in P and i had to use the lock release, then last night when i checked the rear lights are out all the bulbs are fine, Front lights work but the rear is out but the signals do work. where is the solinoid?

the solinoid is in the shifter assembly. but, ...

...you say the back lights dont work, and the bulbs are fine? does your horn work?

if your horn works, but your brake lights dont, then you have a faulty brake pedal switch.

if your horn doesnt work as well, check the fuse. the fuse is called "horn/brake system". should be fuse 42 in the underhood fuse box, and should use a 20A fuse.

best of luck! ;)

ok checked the horn it was out replaced the fuse you said shifter and horn work, tail lights are still out prob just another fuse though ill check em. thanks alot man!

well you might have a short. the horn fuse is the same as the brake fuse. maybe the switch is also messed up. sounds like good progress tho, glad i could help

notta problem :thumbsup:

oh i see. tail lights/dash lights is fuse 19, 10A in the underdash fuse box

well that means you've got a short someplace. you'll need to bust out the multimeter.

i have wiring diagrams i can give you, but it's up to you if you feel like you can do it. wiring is something it seems a lot of people are scared of, or cant grasp. you might want to take it to a shop if you dont feel like you can do it.

but yeah lmk if you want the diagrams or not.

ight :D

...wiring's my fav heh

this is a huge picture, and it's the USA model. lmk if ur in Canada, eh.

you want everything associated with fuse 19, and the red/black wire, etc.

Attachments

• diag.jpg
    diag.jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 156
it's something with the stereo or ( in that area ), if i pull the stereo out and disconnect it. the lights work fine. turned em off and on about 15 times with the car on and off never failed once. but as soon as i reconnect the stereo it blows 19 again

dash lights also incorporate part of the dimming circuit. check possibly the bulbs that illuminate the radio and such to make sure they're in all the way. not too sure without looking at it in front of me :\

keep postin updates i guess.

Back