Stuck on Cams

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Rasputin

I guess my question is I'm having problems with picking out cams, I hear good things about most of the companies. Right now I have a set of Crane Stage 3's (PN: 253-0014) and to be honest the shop that is going to be tuning it said they were crap. Kind of a "would you like to buy some better ones from us?" comment (at least I hope). Anyway they suggest the Skunk2pro2 or Toda B/C.

I read the Cam Guide Sticky but it doesn't list crane.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If it helps my setup as of now is

B16 Head:
Port / Polish - 5 angle Intake / 3 angle Exhaust -KMS: Dual Springs, Titanium Retainers, Bronze Valve Guides - Eldelbrock: Victor X Intake Mani Ported / Polished, 65mm Throttle Body - 330 RC Injectors - AEM: Fuel Rail, Regulator, Fuel Filter, Cam Gears, V2 Intake

GSR Block:
Bored .20 - JE 12.5.1 Pistons (hot spots ground down and glass beaded / balanced) - GSR Crank cryo'd and balanced - Eagle H beams - Cometic 82mm Head Gasket - ARP head bolts - KMS modified Oil Pump - Greddy Timing Belt - UR Crank Pulley (Alternator only)

-MSD: Distributer , Coil, 6AL
-Hondata S100
-Old A$$ Landspeed Racing / PowerCore 4-2-1 Exhaust Mani, Race Cat, Midsection - 5zigen Fireball exhaust rear section

Last edited:
Thanks for the help. I called KMS and all i could get is a round about coil bind hight since i had lost the packaging. So now I feel less safe about what I have. Called around a bit and think I'm going to try the M24x with their spring/retainer package. Rather be safe than sorry as the projects taken .... well too long.

Again thanks

I'll post some pics as I start putting this thing back together in the next few weeks.

interesting. my machine shop is only about 10 miles from my house so i went down there today he pulled 3 springs well at first he pulled 2 but the first one tested at 11.3 the second at 10.8 and the third was 11.5. He suggests i get new springs, i would tend to agree although he said the first and last were pretty much in tolerance the second one was to far out and he also figured pulling more would reveal more problems (but that was just his guess). The first 2 were free the third was for curiosity and shop time would be added for the others so i had him stop there.

So after talking to one of Rocket Motorsports dealers today I ended up opting for the M22x with head package instead of the m24x they said the gains would be minimal between the two only the 22's are easier to tune. 3 weeks to make them, although they are going to ship the springs and retainers out first so i can go ahead and get them installed.

Thanks Blanco for saving me from what would have been a huge and $$ problem. Block and trans are in the car now waiting on the head heres a pic I'll post more when the head is ready.

Picture005.jpg

Picture004.jpg

Last edited:
just blanco gets thanks>:mad::mad::mad::mad::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

[cartman voice]

SCREWWW YOU GUYS...I"M GOIN home!!!

stupid joo

[/cartman voice]

jk

just to add, you not only want coil bind to be bigger then cam lift, but you want it at least 1-1.5mm larger then the cam lift.

and your springs were binding at 10.8-11.3mm? are they like stock springs or something? thats very small lift. the numbers just dont seem right. i think even stock springs dont bind til around 12mm (tested by rocket), its hard to imagine an anftermarket company would bind at even less. but if those figures are correct, youll be glad you changed them out, since you wouldnt be able to safely run more then a stock cam.

youll be happy with the m22x. im thinking about m22xx for my next cam :)

to answer i don't have the stocky springs anymore but you would think advertising with 75 seat pressure and rev to 10,000 it would have a lot more binding. they maybe should be 11.5 but 1 out of 3 is just a bit sad.

should have some more pics in about a week hope i can get the head put back together quick.

i mean you can run smaller allowance with quality springs.

for example, my cam/spring setup has only 0.7-0.8 mm allowance. (skunk2 stage 2 cams, portflow springs which use ITR yellow outers and their inners) im cutting it close. but i havent had any problems yet (fingers crossed), even up to 8500-9000 rpms.

some parts came into today.

manifold injectors fuel rail and 65mm throttle body waiting on head (well really waiting on springs and retainers)

Wheels and tires came in yesterday.

Header made it today as well (was very impressed with it)

Last edited:
Back