study: atkins diet unhealthy

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

For everything study that comes out to make you healthy, there will be a scientific study to show, thats its unhealthy...you loose either way....Low in Fat meals will have tons of sodium and carbs...Low carbs and you end up with all fat and and increase risks of heart disease....Its a loose, loose situation....Only thing you can do is eat less portions and have a balanced meal...and exercise...

The problem with the low carb, or Atkins diet, is it is promoted as an "easy" way to lose weight, so people that otherwise don't have a health regime are getting into it, and it backfires when you cheat, or stop like you're suppoed to without having actually changed your lifestyle.

There is a huge misperception because of the Atkins diet that carbs and calories are unhealthy. You need them to survive, they are fuel for your body. I agree with the point that someone already made, this is a diet for people who do not want to break a sweat.
Granted if you have too many carbs and intake too many calories you will gain a lot of weight, but to have a diet that says you can eat as many trans-fats and other products that are horrible for you, but then you cannot eat bread, pasta, or any other high carb product which is way more healthy than cheese burger. Well that is just out right ridiculous.
Now there are some points to the Atkins diet that are good advice, however it is just another loose weight quick idea, and it is not a permanent solution. If people want to loose weight they need to look into a proper diet, and look into a good exercise program, and not just lifting weights, cardio is key to loosing weight.

Originally posted by MaaseyRacer@Jun 24 2004, 10:46 AM
cardio is key to loosing weight.

:werd:
last year i lost ~20lbs in about 30 days from running alone.

ya i agree with dohc_accord....

what the fuck are you doing on aljazerra.net?

I'm not going to take any dietary advice from a bunch of fucking third world savages LOL.

Notify me when CNN or MSNBC or some AMERICAN new agency reports it.

Atkins/low carb diets are fucking stupid. I can't believe how many places are advertising low carb meals now. It pisses me off to see my friends (mostly girls) that aren't overweight at all wanting to do this diets just to lose 5 or 10 pounds. Seriously, fucking exercise and eat right for a month or two and you will lose the weight, be in good shape, and be healthy. I don't know why people are so concerned about losing "weight" either. I am more concerned about my body fat percentage, getting proper nutirtion, exercising, etc...

If you want to lose weight consume 500 less calories than you burn everyday, drink lots of water, eat 6 smaller well balanced meals (carbs/fats/protein) instead of 3 big meals to keep your metabolism up, and exercise (weights/cardio). Here is a great site for nutrition and workout info... www.bodybuilding.com. It's not as simple as just following some new "fad" diet.

I was at the grocery store last night, and I noticed "low-carb pasta". FUCKING MORONS!!! What else is pasta, except carbs? Grrrrr, I get so angry at this Atkins shit. Plus, they were trying to sell this pasta for....drumroll please.....$5 a pound. FIVE FUCKING DOLLARS A POUND. Unbelievable what people will pay for this low-carb shit.

Originally posted by Blanco@Jun 24 2004, 01:29 PM
People constantly tried telling me that I was wrong when I told them that low-carb diets were unhealthy or pointless, at best. There is no easy way around weight management. You have to have lean muscle mass to burn calories and permanently raise your metablolism and you have to lift weights, or work a physically demanding job, in order to build lean muscle mass. Cardio only raises your metabolism for a short time and builds very little comparitive mass. Lean muscle burns calories while you sit on your ass playing Gran Turismo. Eat properly, lift, mild cardio and you'll never have a weight problem again.

I am going to disagree, I do nothing but cardio. I lift weights once a week in the winter time, and the rest of the time it is cardio 7 days a week. In the last month I have lost 5lbs. just by increasing my cardio work outs. This is not about bulking your muscles up this is about weight loss, the increased metabolism is constant you just have to keep increasing your cardio levels. I have watched many people decide that they were going to go to the gym, and start lifting weights while trying to loose weight. All they did was gain weight, especially in their gut, lifting weights bulks you up where the cardio activity slims you down. In fact I am not a fan of lifting weights as it adds too much weight to my body. I do sit ups/crunches, and push ups, I do a lot of sit ups and a few push ups each day. I find that they do not over bulk me and that are more practical than the alternatives. I agree with you in the sense that diet needs to be changed and you cannot just eat crap and expect to loose weight. However if you are just lifting weights you not going to burn off as much fat as you are by running or riding a bike.

Muscle weighs more than fat. Blanco's plan is right, for him. If you just want to be light, cool. Personally, I like a happy medium. I don't wanna be huge, or bulky, but I don't want to be a stick either. 200 lbs, solid, low body fat %, and I'll be a very happy person.

So I agree with everyone else. Balanced diet, exercise, good sleep schedule, and do it consistently.

Skinny is easy, don't eat. Fitness is work, and time consuming.

Thats why I just eat what the fuck I want to. Thank God for my high ass metabolism. I'd rather eat like shit and enjoy it then worry about that crap.

Back