Stuff happens

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

asmallsol

Super Moderator
Not a good day for my sol

Started out last night, the roadcourse is 3 hours away from my house, and it started around 7, so I was not about to wake up at 3:30 and start driving, so I drove the night before. Since I am on a cheap budjet, I ended up just sleeping in my car at a nearby parking lot. When I become a bum, I will not be buying a sol. Defently no winabago.

First 4 sessions went well. With my new Azenies, I was able to hold the lines alot easier then my last visit. There was a very cocky guy in an S2k that didn't know how to drive worth shit. Because this was just speedtrials (non compition), you can only pass when the slower veichle ahead of you signles. Well this jackass wouldn't let anyone pass. I road his ass 10 ft from his bumper for 5 laps straight. Finally I got sick of it, and took a hot pit to get away from him. I told the safty guy to have them start throwing out the passing flag, and talk to the s2k guy. Wasn't a problem after that. (S2k guy was an asshole, and cocky as hell. First, coming down the parking lot, he does a quick 0-100 dash. Fucking asshole. Then he had zero experience, signs up in advanced. Coming out of the pits, he goes off course hard (there like no way to actually do it, guess they guy actually does have talent) so they threw him in begginer class)

After driving with a few more advanced drivers, I tried to push my car a little more on the fifth session. I was coming through a midspeed (around 55-60mph) sweaper, and tried to hold 2nd gear (2nd ends around 62ish) Right as I was about to shift into 3rd, it felt like I had put the brakes on hard, and my RPMs shot down, oil light and check engine light turn on. I thought that I'd spun a bearing (oil starvation is comman through long sweapers) I shut my car off and put it to the side of the track. Track puts the yellow flag out for me. One of the flag guy comes up to me, and asks me what happen, I respond, I think I blew my engine So he asks if I needed to be towed out. I said I wasn't sure, and said I would try and start it. Turn it on, starts up fine, no CELS, no oil light. So the corner worker says to try and drive it back in slowly.

I made my way around, went into the pits, and checked my oil, says about a qt low. At the begging of the session, I was a half qt OVER. As for the code, it ends up being 22. Vtec pressure switch, which makes sence. Low oil, plus all the oil flowing to one side of the pan during a long sweaper, would defently cause the presure to fall into dangerous levels. Also, this code cause you to go into limp mode, which expalins why my Revs suddenly dropped to around 4-5kish range. So I check to see where it was comming from. All under my car was soaked in oil. The spray had reached all the way to my GAS TANK. After inspecting where this was actaully coming from, the only thing we could see was a slow drip coming fromt the rear of the oil pan. Just last week I replaced this gasket when I put my baffled oil pan on (helps prevent oil starvation by stoping the oil from flowing up the sides. Best guess is, the gasket didn't seat that well, and the extreme torture of a roadcourse cause it to spring a leak at that point. It had been eating oil the entire day, but for a semi older engine, it wasn't too out of the norm. However, what we were thinking, since the leak was so small, I probally was suffering from this the entire day, but since I had been pushing it more that session, that was probally why it happen then.

Since the small leak wasn't dripping at that alarming of a rate, plus I had alot of spare oil, I decided to try and make it to the parts store, which was 5 miles away, and pick up a case of oil. By the time I got there, the level didn't drop off too much. I decided to just drive home, and just check and fill it every 30-40 miles or so. After about 5 or so stops, and 3 or so qrts of oil, I finally made it home. Sometime this week, I will just end up replacing the gasket, and hopefully that will solve it (99% sure it will)

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Jul 17 2004, 01:14 AM
shitty mang. but glad to haer the azenis are far better for you than the so3's :)

if your not getting oil starvation,your tires arn't good enough! lol

I don't have a complete comparison between the two on a roadcouse, because the last time I went with the s03's, there was almost no tread in front, and zero in the rear, including a decent amount of toe wear.

Also, to add to the shit happens, my freind mike, crashed at gingerman today. Coming around a turn, the guy infront of him in a very nice CTR looking EK, taps the brakes, putting him into a spin. My freind then has to tap on the brakes, but he gets the car straight, and headed for the run off. The CTR goes backwards into the runoff, and mike is slowly coming toward him (cant stop that well on grass) Slowly, my freind "t-bones" this EK. By this time, both cars are bearly moving (less then 10 mph). Mike's bumper was a little dented and scratch, but overall fine. The EK was not so lucky and had his door and rear finder pushed in a good 2 inchs, right where the side molding is. Sucks to be him

Originally posted by SiR Kid@Jul 17 2004, 01:38 AM
Damn. SOunds fun as shit. I'd love to get my car out on a roadcourse soemtime.

oh it defently was, and there was so much Eye candy for the car lover. A 355f1 ferrari, a 360 modena challenger, tons of SICK m3's with huge 15inch brakes, 350z's with rear calipers that had 4 times the stoping power as my fronts, spec miata's, and a shit load of ITR's and S2k's.

that sucks!

since im lazy to replace my clutch and rear main seal, i drop about a quart of oil a week. i got owned at honkeys meet when my front pass brake caliper was sticking, also.

after 5 minutes i had almost a quart of oil on the ground. :(

We all bitch about CEL's, but that computer might have saved your engine. Low oil pressure and high rev's are not a good combo. Glad to hear the car is ok. Next time will go better.

Originally posted by asmallsol+Jul 17 2004, 12:41 AM-->
@Jul 17 2004, 01:38 AM
Damn. SOunds fun as shit. I'd love to get my car out on a roadcourse soemtime.

oh it defently was, and there was so much Eye candy for the car lover. A 355f1 ferrari, a 360 modena challenger, tons of SICK m3's with huge 15inch brakes, 350z's with rear calipers that had 4 times the stoping power as my fronts, spec miata's, and a shit load of ITR's and S2k's.

bring a camera next time ;)

last club racing event I did, my buddy had installed an acusump *sp, well if I am not mistaken the acusump that he had install held another 3 quarts in the oil system and also gave extra pressure on start up. Might want to look into that. He has a EG with a GSR longblock.

other than the faulty oil pan gasket, sounds like you had a blast, reminds me of good ole club racing days. Always a great time.

:thumbsup:

yeah, low on oil is low on oil

its just something to help with the sloshing... but if you already have it then CHECK YOUR DAMN OIL MORE OFTEN!!!

:werd:

i check mine after every session, i have that exact same leak as you. your day doesn't sound so bad, i was thinking you wrecked or some shit, lol. i was at thunderhill this past weekend, had a great day, i love the ITR motor :) i'll be posting up some incar later this week. oh ya, MX's > azenis on the track, i found my new tire :)

Back