Stuff to be added to reference

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

MikeBergy

Blah blah blah....
I notice a lot of stupid questions about stroking b16s with b18 cranks and what not, and it would be nice to see the deck heights of the various engines listed in the engine reference sections. I for one have been through almost all the reference, and despite the wealth of information I have seen, I see a few specs and topics that maybe could be added in the near future. Admin, you've done a good job in making this a very informative site, as well as an entertaining one. You guys get my :thumbsup: . Some stuff could be added though, just some positive critiquing.
Thanks

Originally posted by JDMPlaya@Nov 25 2003, 05:22 PM
I'd like to see the Turbo section finished for reference !

my .02!

:concur: Im looking into Turbo, this si the site i turn to for everything, yet there are no articles about Turbos Or Superchargers. Hmmm

hmm maybe you can go get all the info for b and pm him, it takes time to get specs on turbos to make it the high qual info that is in the engine ref section. give it some time and im sure you wont be disappointed.

hey don't knock him I have seen a 350 in a RWD converted CRX! I used to have pics on my old computer before it fried!

Originally posted by cointelpro@Nov 25 2003, 05:42 PM
yea and i could put a chevy big block in a geo metro.

who are you being sarcastic towards? bacause you CAN stroke a b16b to 1.8 if you use the GSR/ITR crank and rods, the b16b has the same deck height as the GSR/ITR.

I was saying to Admin that they should put the deck heights of the various motors in the motor specs refs. I wasn't saying that swapping a b18 crank into a b16 motor is stupid, even though I do think its stupid, for many reasons. I was just saying that some things should be added to the ref section, so people can just look up the specs, and answer their own questions by looking up the appropriate sections in the ref. Just trying to cut down a lot of useless questions posted by the intelligent noobs on this site, who have already looked up info in the ref section, and didn't find what info they were looking for. There's always going to be stupid people that ask questions without looking to the reference section first. And with regards to the turbo section refs. I will be giving mad props to those that put up articles in that reference section. Turbocharging is not something that people can just jimmy rig to make their motors put out more power, at least not without blowing an other wise perfectly good motor or two. That is some seriously technical stuff, and should be treated as a unique case for every motor. Props to Admin for all the information they've put up so far, I have certainly crammed a lot of honda info into my head as a result of this website.

find me solid info on the deck heights,. and i'll post it.

i don't have any solid deminsions in like mm or something

when i go pick up my tranny bolts ill ask the peeps at acura for deck hights on acura engines. im sure their dumbasses will look at me like *HUH* but its worth a try. :)

edit: ah i see what closed vs open deck is now.. i think. so the deck height is basically how long the sleeve is from the bottom opening to the very top where it mates to the head?

Originally posted by cointelpro@Nov 26 2003, 03:03 AM
i wasnt being overly sarcastic, i know you can stroke it, and i also know you can put a big block in a geo.

In the rear. Yes. :worthy:

I agree with the thread starter dude...update yo. :)

Originally posted by cointelpro@Nov 27 2003, 09:15 PM
ah i see what closed vs open deck is now.. i think.

Basically Around the cyl's the coolant jacket runs completely around the Cyl's in an open deck block. This is better for keeping your engine cooler, but it is weak compared to closed deck blocks. On a closed deck block the coolant jackets are basically holes going lenghthwise with the cyl's to cool them. It is stronger, but less coolant flow which equals a hotter engine! I was going to sleeve my D16Z6 turbo project, which would have made it flow less coolant, but also would have made it stronger for the added boost! I was going to run a front mount oil cooler to deal with the added engine heat!

so in the closed deck that reinforcement runs the whole length of the sleeve, not just at the top. i get it now. man if i was gonna build a closed deck block i would make sure to get some coolant action in there if your taking away that much surface area for the coolant. whats up fluidyne radiator and oil cooler.

Word word! I am glad you understand now! It is really hard to explaine it without actually seeing the differences in person side by side yo! You fluidyne and a good oil cooler will help out like crazy.

Back