1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stupid Axle Question, please help reassure me

Discussion in 'Civic and CRX - EF' started by ryangt, Jan 15, 2007.

1. ryangt

ryangt Senior Member

91 crx with a 91 teggy b18a swap in it, I cant get the driver side axle out.
    Its stuck in the intermediate shaft. Im prying on it pretty hard and its not budging. What do you guys think it could be? Ive replaced alot of axles before and never had one stick like this. I dont wanna cause damage.
    should i just pry harder? Whack it with a hammer hah?:mellow:

2. hcivic.com

hcivic.com Senior Member

as you put pressue with a pry bar tap it lightly with a hammer, try to move the hammer till you find the sweet spot and pop

3. ryangt

ryangt Senior Member

yeah, im actually bending prybars, thats how hard im prying and still nothing

4. 89 hatch

89 hatch New Member

if its stuck in the haftshaft pull the haftshaft out and put it in a vice so you dont break anything then try to knock it out with a hammer and a chisel it probley wont work but its worth a try if nothing else

5. welfare

welfare Ancient Member

I had one stick like that on me before in a 93 integra, once I got the axle out of the halfshaft I realized what the problem was. . . the splines had actually sheared and well to make a long story short the thing was a mess, had to get a new halfshaft and buy a new axle (rebuilder wouldn't take one with damaged splines)
    I know that I didn't damage the splines when I separated the axle from the halfshaft, but it did take me a while with a good prybar and a hammer.
    Try a large ball joint separator, that is what finally got mine apart.

6. ryangt

ryangt Senior Member

i got the axle out, i had to use a big screw driver with a hammer from under the other side of the car, a few really strong taps, and she came free. I inspected it thuroughly and cant see a problem with it at all.... at least nothing to say why it woulda stuck.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted