stupid boost question

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Slammed90Lude

so geoff at full race said they will provide me with a 10 psi spring in my tial wastegate and that he would leave the boost control up to me- how am i supposed to make 12 psi from a 10 psi wastegate? i'm confused :hmm:

a boost controller intercepts the boost signal to the wastegate not allowing the WG to see boost, so as to run in series circuit. you can then adjust the mbc to 'open' at a given psi and allow the boost pressure from the turbo to go to the wastegate.

a dual mbc has 2 presets, your normal which you set and then a second that you also set that bypasses the first adjustment at the flip of a switch.

EDIT: i'd prob get a smaller WG spring tho as that is the absolute lowest pressure you'll be able to run. an mbc allows you to run as high as you can adjust it.

ahhhhhh i see- now it all makes sense- where does one purchase one of there mbc's?

a wastegate spring is as LOW as you can go.
generally, a boost controller is good for double the psi as the spring- so you're going to max out around 20psi even with a boost controller cranked to 50 psi.

I believe I have a 15 psi spring.

I wouldn't recommend an MBC either. not for your setup. on a junkyard kit, they are fine. but you are going semi-big, and you're going to need more control. at the least, get a greddy profec B, and if you can swing it, the avcr :)

but of course- those things are already on my order list- I just wasn't sure about the boost control after reading the email from geoff

I would seriously, seriously consider NOT getting a 10 PSI spring unless you want to boost like 28 PSI or something.

Your car is never going to hook up in any gear less than 3rd and on at 10 PSI of boost. Ever,.

Get a 5-6 PSi spring, and a boost controller. That spring can do almost 20 PSI, which is probably more than you want anyway.

Always get the lowest spring you can put in the wastegate you bought, always.

When you get the 10 PSi spring, your going to wonder why your car is so slow in the quarter mile, unless your on some big slicks.

My advice, I help you out either way.

Jeff

my advice- don't solve traction problems buy lowering power. solve traction problems with things that give you traction- suspension, drag radials on the street, slicks on the track, traction bars, driver skill, control over your right foot.

:werd: however, i know that wastegate spring is going to dictate the absolute lowest boost pressure I can run- Rather than being stuck running no lower than 10 psi, i think i'm going to get either the 5 or 7 psi spring- I'm going to use the greddy profec b/hondata's ability to run more than one boost level- keep the motor to 7psi on the street to reduce the amount of stress I put on the stock motor- since i'm not going to be able to afford a new short block for a little bit

once again, its all about your right foot. you guys make it sound like you gotta flor it everywhere.

hell, 1/4 throttle just crusing, you will probably be in vacuum.
1/2 throttle normal accel, a coupel pounds....

can i run 6psi on my stock gsr w/o hondata or injectors?

i was think of boltin up the turbo next weekend but i dont have hondata yet. i do have an adjustable fpr and 255 walbro...

i wanna go cruisin next weekend cuz my gir is goin to newyork..

no, you can't you either have to have a JMU (junkMU) Hondata with at least RC 440 injectors.

Jeff

Originally posted by Pissedoffsol
once again, its all about your right foot. you guys make it sound like you gotta flor it everywhere.

hell, 1/4 throttle just crusing, you will probably be in vacuum.
1/2 throttle normal accel, a coupel pounds.

yeah i know B, but my problem is, knowing that there is 7 psi available with a few degrees of ankle movement is bad enough, but atleast if i'm on it a lot, i still won't be pounding the shit out of motor- if i drove around all the time with 13 psi on tap and 300hp+ i'd be going to the grocery store at 13 psi- i'm still a youngster and I still can't help getting on my car all the time, especially if i know it's fast

Originally posted by Import Builders@Apr 30 2004, 07:25 PM
no, you can't you either have to have a JMU (junkMU) Hondata with at least RC 440 injectors.

Jeff

i cant run 6 psi?

how much boost can i run?

this sucks ass! .... im gonna have to start a 'i need money' thread.. just need 200 for hondata.. fuk guberdata

Back