1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stupid question

Discussion in 'General Tech and Maintenance' started by CFweave, Jun 19, 2004.

1. CFweave

CFweave Member

I've been trying to learn as much as I can about modifying cars before I go and buy one. I'm confused on the whole debate as to whether mandrel bends or crush bends are better for an exhaust system. I know that on a turbo car, you'd want a large-diameter madrel bent pipe to reduce back pressure as much as possible. But on a naturally aspirated car, backpressure creates more torque (or so I hear). So then wouldn't crush bends be better for an exhaust system on a naturally aspirated car?

2. K2e2vin

K2e2vin Senior Member

too much backpressure will work against you. you want just enough back pressure. you aslo want a smooth flow in the pipes. mandrel>crush

3. allbottledup

allbottledup Senior Member

go with madreal bent. If you look at all of top brands thats what they use. Just decide on what diameter that you want. Look at dyno charts for pretty stock cars with different exhausts, and when you find one you like do the research to find the details about the exhaust,(ie diameter, mandarel bends) then go ahead and make yours. You should get some pretty good results.

4. E_SolSi

E_SolSi Member of the 20 nut club Moderator VIP

mandrel bends have better flow
    better flow is important for high RPM HP
    hondas are all about high RPM HP
    if you want to keep low end TQ dont go stupid huge on the diameter

5. CFweave

CFweave Member

Ok, thanks for the help. I was confused because I noticed a few guys with Hondas losing torque with their mandrel bent exhausts...but they have like 3 inch pipes and 5 inch tips...stupid ricers.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted