Stuttering/Misfire issue with LS swap

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

spartan_327

Hey guys,

It's been a few weeks since I swapped a JDM B18b1 LS motor into my EK. For the most part, it's been running well, no major issues, and it's been a good daily driver thus far... with one minor complaint.

Every once in a while, usually while I'm sitting at a light after being on the freeway, the engine almost 'chokes' and then runs very rough. Almost like it's running on 3 cylnders. I have not gotten any CEL, and has not stalled out... yet. It will usually persist until I start to accelerate, then it seems to stutter through it and usually by 2500-3000 rpm it starts to run fine again. Then it won't happen again for a few days, as there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason behind it.

When I had the swap done, I had them change out the cap & rotor, the wires are good (stuck with the OEM stock ones). The plugs were also new, but the cheaper entry level NGK V-groove ones.

After it happend again a couple times today, and my shop not finding anything wrong, I stopped and picked up new plugs. The good, NGK laser platinum ones. Haven't been out since I put them in, so we'll see.

Any ideas? :confused:

And I did search, but after reading through numerous threads, nothing seemed to help with my specific problem. Would you guys run an injector cleaner through? Are those worth it??

I wouldnt recommend injector cleaners....... they dont seem to work...... I would take all the injectors out and inspect them to make sure u can see them clean your self ......... or check your vacum lines ....and map sensor

Apparently everything is good, vacuum lines, sensors, etc. Had it at the shop today to have them take a look. They didn't find anything, and as far as they can see, everything is fine... still didn't stop me from replacing the plugs with better ones. Did I need to? Probably not, but it can't hurt when I got a deal on the better plugs...

I don't think I'll bother running an injector cleaner through it... although from what I hear, the cleaners you buy at your local parts store, is the same kind of chemical used at dealerships when they do the injector flush. Only the dealer uses a much more concentrated solution. Any truth to this?

Seafoam seems to be the magic remedy for lots of things, lol. Seems like enough people use the stuff without any issue. I know Honda recommends not using anything, but I'm guessing it's so that you'll bring it to the dealer so they can charge you $100 for the injector flush...

There are write ups on how to use the seafoam for your IM cleaning and stuff... Can't remember where I saw it, if it was on this site or somewhere else.

Well it's been a while since I put in the new plugs, and also bumped up the idle speed a touch.

Since then it's been running a lot nicer, a lot more smooth, no hesitiation/misfire. I'm beginning to wonder if maybe it was in fact a plug gap problem. I'm going to go check the gaps on the 'old' plugs and see what they are.

Back