sub box size

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

i want to build i sub box for 2 12" subs how deep dose the box have to be i have 15" to work with thanks for your help

what kind of subs are they?

i was using a JL 10w3 in a 2.5 cu. ft. ported enclosure that i made in my garage. the thing thumped hard for about a month before i killed it. and it hit a little over 142 db.

Originally posted by saturn_boy96@Oct 16 2003, 11:31 PM
what kind of subs are they?

i was using a JL 10w3 in a 2.5 cu. ft. ported enclosure that i made in my garage. the thing thumped hard for about a month before i killed it. and it hit a little over 142 db.

Like he was basically saying, it depends on which subs you get.

It should tell you on the box/instructions for the subs how deep the boxes have to be to get the best sound.

Personally, I would not build my own box, unless of course you are experienced in audio installation. I know a buddy of mine tried it, and blew out a woofer becasue he made it too small, and instead of spending twenty bucks on a box, he ended up spend $120 on another sub.

thats just a crappy sub then. also cause i knew the kid who sold me that JL i got it dirt cheap.

do a search on google on DIY sub enclosures. their is a lot of math involved in building a sub box, and i mean a lot, and its kind of intensive, but if your really up to it and are competent in your math skillz then go for it.

that box i built, i sold for over $350. make sure you build the box out of at least 1/2" Medium Density Fiber board, and if they are really high quailty subs make sure its 2 seperate enclosures, ported can be louder, but the boxes are usaully 1.5-2 times as large as a similar sealed box., and they weigh a lot.

also make sure your box has a decent q around .7.

It wasn't just one sub he blew out, he blew out 5, and every single time was a new one. He got the subs for free after the first one, because they kept blowing out with a week, the store gave him new ones for free, he finally got a new box, and no problems since.

as i stated it was a crappy sub. why else would 5 blow in a week?

i used a 12" alpine type-r sub in a 1.5 cu. ft. sealed enclosure. no one believed me when i said it was just one sub, two days later i blew the tinsel leads off of the voice coil. my brother soldered it for me and has done so about 8 times since then. :D

the life expectancy of a sub is shortened exponentially when you run it at twice its nominal power rating. :D but if you know how to tune out the distortion, it can also sound fantastically better, and louder than it was ever meant to.

s3f69f0e9704f7.jpg

Fuck 2 12s, you don't need that much in a civic. See the above? 1 10 tiny box, sounds as loud as the 12 I used to have in a box four times bigger. The only difference is some of the frequencies.

Back