Subaru BRZ

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

This BRZ is not to be compared nor to replace any of the already set WRX and WRX Sti.

The BRZ (code name Breezy) is designed for the next generation looking for a different style and with different driving habits. It's new 2.0ltr. is designed for fuel economy much like the already relaesed 2012 Impreza.
Toyota's version WILL NOT be as good as the BRZ simply because it's gonna be badged as a Scion with minimal comfort creatures to keep the cost down. The Brz will have more luxury, and gadgets for a more upscale crowd.

annd finally, there is talk of an Sti version BRZ but keep in mind it's not to compete with the powerhouse we already know as the WRX Sti. The sti version is said to be released about 6 months after the initial BRZ.
ohh and by the way, we willl have a hybrid as well and it may be a BRZ body too.

We lend toyota our boxer engine and they lend us their hybrid technology. :)

any questions?

By the

At least it's not another econo car, avec turbo and somehow gets mistaken as a Sports car. I'm so glad to see 4 door family cars out of the picture.

Now, give it pop-up headlights. And make it talk, too. Remember that fad ? Awesome.

At least it's not another econo car, avec turbo and somehow gets mistaken as a Sports car. I'm so glad to see 4 door family cars out of the picture.

Now, give it pop-up headlights. And make it talk, too. Remember that fad ? Awesome.

Only if it drives on water and has a "Turbo Boost" button that makes it jump.

Dude, you need to get over your popup headlight kick.

They didn't work in the 80s... looked like crap in the 90s with 1 up/1down, and the 2000s finally got rid of them for good.

My 89 integra makes my life complete. Because it has pop up headlights.

My Subaru has a "pop-up" foglight in the grill. Bitchin 80's innovations. Never to be repeated.

Some interesting old Scooby facts:

The engine, even with heads, is the same physical size of a Rotary engine. The transmission is much like a RWD trans but with front axle shafts poking out the sides. This means that power is pushed through the front before the rear, and is an extremely compact 4WD package.
Each front wheel has independent e-brake cables to the ebrake handle.
They have 4 speeds because a fifth gear won't clear the internal gears and rear wheel drive take-off. The 5 speed models (Such as the RX4) sacrifice the power-take-off coupling (Moving it back 1 inch, thus permanently engaging it) Yet still has the space to give it dual range. The RX4 offers 10 forward gears, and 2 reverse.
To make the transmission a part-time 4wd setup again, simply add a spacer to the transmission slice. After, of course, fabricating a custom sized output shaft,rear housing and notching the floor board for a new position for the shifter.
The spare tire is, as stated, above the motor.
In mine (A special edition, JDM-spec) the front is LSD locked, the Rear is LSD locked and the center diff is solid. When in 4WD mode it's truly 4 wheel drive, like a tractor.
The Subaru XT models are equipped with part-time 4WD. To engage the center diff, you turn on the windshield wipers. I'M NOT KIDDING.
Brats have a center of gravity that is 16 inches behind the front wheels. That means it will corner like a lotus, and the rear brakes are completely useless (While the truck is empty). Check out the bias valve.
The Brat had two rear seats available only in the US market. That was a loophole to paying an extra 5% Tariff for light-trucks made outside of the US. The Insurance Regulation banned them in 86.
The wheels are 4x140. Only the Peugeot 505 shared that lug pattern.
All axles are the same. Front axles work in the rear.
The car engines are very similar to the Subaru airplane engines.
The First subarus were made to be used at the Fujitsu factory, as a method for employees to move about the enormous plant.
The Subaru logo is the Pleiades constellation.
In the 80s, a stripped Subaru could be had for less than $4000. A night-day switch on the rear view mirror was optional. A deleted radio meant that were no wires for the radio, no speakers and even the speaker locations weren't punched out.
Heat was also an option. Without it, the cooling path was truncated, and there was no place for a heater core. The vents also weren't installed.
The only reason turbos came with automatics is because the cross-over pipe wasn't bent to go around the transmission. Solved in 1990, by placing a bend in the crossover pipe.
Special editions and JDM spec cars had a center mounted foglight, behind an electrically actuated door that doubled as the hood ornament. A single light with two focal lenses. It's quite neat, I'll take pics of mine. (It's also completely unavailable)
1.8 models have a factory wiring harness for a plow. Subaru sold their cars with optional plows.
The older models offer a secondary brake actuator - called a hill holder. When you come to a stop, push the clutch in, engage the brake, and then take your foot off the brake. The clutch pedal now holds the brake cable, and you're free to use your right leg to give it gas.. without it rolling.

They are pretty unique cars, a fun hobby. This trivia covers mostly the 82-90 stuff. But after that are some interesting fun-facts. I also found out how the DOW guy in New Jersey made his 98 "mostly RWD" for drifting. It's a resistor.

Last edited:
nice find Cel.
shit I didn't kow about the past. :)

That's all just off the top of my head. I also know that if you keep your axles clean and well-maintained, you can change them out alongside the road with nothing more than a hammer and nail. I Can also tell you, as any Subaru owner will, that they EAT axles.

The Subaru transmission is always just about the same, in principle. The All-time AWD units simply have a "Permanently" engaged center diff. That can be bypassed electrically - Just drop a fuse in the diag port under the hood (94-2002 confirmed). The dash will display a light "2WD" and voila ! 2WD 40 mpg car again. Good for the summer.

I love the older Subies, a friend of mine had an old Legacy wagon with 250k on the clock. I made him a 1 3/4' lift for it and we slapped some 235/7515s on it and made it into a fun little rally car. He ended up blowing the clutch out and scrapping it, but it was a hell of a car while it lasted.

It looks like an RX8 had a baby with an RSX and an S2000 bought taillights as a gift for the babyshower...

Back