Sube project

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Turbo&Auto

Nick Go FAST!!
WELL, after selling off a bunch of cars and parts I now have a crap load of loot and space in the garage :lol:

The wife wont let me buy a bike or another car, so its time to start working with what I have!!!

I just bought a vehicle wiring harness for $200 and made an appointment to drop off my Sube @ Rallispec in NJ. The appointment isnt for a month but they said it will only take them a week to 10 days to do the job!

For those that arent familiar with this project:

98 Impreza 2.5RS
EJ20 motor swap
LEDA rally coilovers
Whiteline sway bars
Polyurethane bushing kit
Cusco 3-way Rear strut brace
3" turbo-back exhaust, no cats

There's more crap, but thats the basics of it. I plan on going nuts once I get it back and running AOK.

I MAY sell my Accord after this. I can't imagine I will want to spend more money on it once I get this car back. If I do sell it it will be completely assembled & tuned. Prolly going to ask around 4K for it, if you're interested hit me up.

I'll post pics tonight of my Sube :)

Not the trixy :D

The wife is getting the Matrix now, I know I know, deadly :( We just cant fit the baby seat in her car comfortably, the SE-R has tiny rear seats.

Sold the Neon, 95 F-150 and my 71 Roadrunner. The roadrunner took up more space then my Sube and the Matrix :lol:

You had a roadrunner ?!

And you didn't sell it to me ?!

What is wrong with you people ? OK Here it is... the last time..

If any of you mofos have a car that you think is "too old" or "Too american" or any kind of 70s car that you "have to ditch", IM CELERITY

In the immortal words of Mister T : I PITY DA FOOL

I sold it to my cousin, he just got out of some car customizing school. I wasnt planning on selling it, but he got me at the right time and it worked out well for both of us :)

Don't do the ej205 block.

At least do the JDM longblock, or a 2.5L shortblock with ej205 heads. You'll want the added displacement when you start driving the car. There's no comparison between the feeling of the STi to the 2.0L early WRX engine. Some people swear the JDM 2.0L is good because its rev happy but thats not my style of driving and it brings into play issues with emissions and other things due to the fact that its non-USDM.

I already have the motor, and it's in the car. The 98 Impreza is a bit lighter then the newer WRX's, it will be a MUCH different animal. PLUS, it wont be pretty stock for long......

sounds like it'll be a fun ride. love to see it.
ps how's the little one doing?

I already have the motor, and it's in the car. The 98 Impreza is a bit lighter then the newer WRX's, it will be a MUCH different animal. PLUS, it wont be pretty stock for long......

If its already in there, I understand, but those motors just make no sense to build since the bigger motor is stronger, more powerful, and has greater potential for the same cost.

The 2.5rs is lighter. Do you have a 2 or 4door '98 and did you stick with the rs trans or no? Also do you have endlinks for those swaybars?

2 door, stuck with the 98 RS tranny and I dont remember on the endlinks. I havent drove this car in over 5 years.....

2 door, stuck with the 98 RS tranny and I dont remember on the endlinks. I havent drove this car in over 5 years.....

The RS tranny actually isn't a bad tranny to be mated with the ej205, in fact from a speed perspective the ratios are good and the transmission is fairly strong. I'd take it over a USDM 02-05 WRX tranny.

As for the endlinks, check if you have the plastic ones or upgraded solid links. Kartboy and whiteline both make endlinks for the car, along with other huge names like perrin, because of how weak and prone to breaking the stock endlinks are with upgraded swaybars. Also, since they're plastic they flex and are generally just poor performing.

TIC - Turn In Concepts - has some awesome fender braces that are great for handling and fairly inexpensive, too. You might want to check those out, because the RS should be a really great handler.

I suppose you have a catless uppipe going to your turbo as well? Since it would make no sense to do an engine and turbo swap without an upgraded uppipe in there as well. If you don't already have one, have you thought a STi intercooler or Ebay intercooler? The ebay intercooler is dirt cheap and works great.

In terms of engine management, if you don't already have a system of management, you can buy a tactrix cable for $90 and have free engine management software flashed onto the car or the car custom tuned. The more expensive route is going with the Cobb AccessPort like I did. Either way you should get the engine management and get a pro tune a.k.a street or dyno tune.

I'm excited to hear how your project turns out, its how I was originally going to go about things before I bought my WRX.

:wave: Come on down

The car originally had a SDS engine management setup on it, it didnt run that great and wasnt getting ANY better with tuning. I think the shop I took it to to install the engine management fucked up the magnets on the crank pulley, that and the hall sensor was a lil too far spaced out. I ditched it also becuase of continious issues with bad spark plug wires and the over sensitive coils that came with the kit.

Do you have a link for this free tuning software? I like tuning myself, like Recked mentioned, I MAY have done it once or twice :)

:wave: Come on down

The car originally had a SDS engine management setup on it, it didnt run that great and wasnt getting ANY better with tuning. I think the shop I took it to to install the engine management fucked up the magnets on the crank pulley, that and the hall sensor was a lil too far spaced out. I ditched it also becuase of continious issues with bad spark plug wires and the over sensitive coils that came with the kit.

Do you have a link for this free tuning software? I like tuning myself, like Recked mentioned, I MAY have done it once or twice :)

Enginuity.
Enginuity - Open Source ECU Tuning, Reflashing and Logging | Enginuity / Enginuity
They have basic staged maps and a ton of other maps people share.

Tactrix cable.
tactrix

Back