Suby/Mitsu is getting some company...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Bob Vila

ɐןıʌ qoq
Admin
VIP
Courtesy of Autoweek.com:

September Surprise
Mazda is prepping its own entry for the Subie-Mitsu rally wars—a 276-hp, 265-lb-ft Mazda 6 scheduled for a mid-2005 world debut. Spotted during hot-weather tests in the California desert, this sizzling prototype gets a twin-turbocharged and intercooled 2.3-liter four that is mated to a six-speed manual gearbox and sends power via all-wheel drive to 18-inch tires.

Based on Mazda’s Mazda Performance Series concept shown in Paris in 2002, the production model should debut at this September’s Paris show, carrying either the MPS or MazdaSpeed moniker.

mazda6main.jpg

mazda6rear.jpg

Looks like my Xplan might finally come into play :)

very nice.

AWD + turbo + 6 speed tranny????

B, this could be the car you've been waiting for...:)

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Jul 13 2004, 10:17 PM
that car is fucking hot....

Fucking :werd:

It looks like a four door RX8 with MUCH better front end lines. (I like the taillights, they look hot on the WHITE car...)

:worthy:

Car looks sweet as hell! Looks like everyone is jumping on the bandwagon....

Originally posted by FFCiv@Jul 13 2004, 10:27 PM
loco was right

I know. I mean, I'm always right, but which case are you referring to?

And twin turbo on a production 2.3L four cylinder? I don't fucking think so. Maybe twin SCROLL turbo, like the CT26 in my AllTrac, but I'd put money on it NOT having two turbos.

BTW guys- you know that if Mazda is really going to do this, a Ford version is soon to follow, which means that the other two of the Big Three are going to hop in, which means some serious competition between everyone.

Dude, if they bring the Focus RS to American shores shit is going to hit the fan and Dodge and Chevy are gonna drop a greasy turd in their pants.

Originally posted by Loco Honkey@Jul 13 2004, 10:04 PM

Maybe twin SCROLL turbo, like the CT26 in my AllTrac, but I'd put money on it NOT having two turbos.

Once again Ji, you are correct. It's twin scroll just like your all-trac and mr2 motors.

Originally posted by NotUrAverage_Si+Jul 14 2004, 02:54 PM-->
Loco Honkey
@Jul 13 2004, 10:04 PM

Maybe twin SCROLL turbo, like the CT26 in my AllTrac, but I'd put money on it NOT having two turbos.

Once again Ji, you are correct. It's twin scroll just like your all-trac and mr2 motors.

Where does it say anything about twin scroll. There are plenty of 4cyl cars out there that use twin turbo's. Old School legacy's come to mind right off the bat. Granted, they'll more than likely move to a single turbo setup for production, but mazda has normally been one to move forward with their prototypes. I wouldnt be surprised if it came into production just as its listed.

Two smaller twin's on a 4cyl in a sequential manor would create alot of low end tq. especially with the 2.3l.

And as far as the taillights...I believe thats how they are on the cars this for this m.y....I could be mistaken however.

Its just a waiting game from this point forward.

Originally posted by Loco Honkey@Jul 14 2004, 12:06 AM
BTW guys- you know that if Mazda is really going to do this, a Ford version is soon to follow, which means that the other two of the Big Three are going to hop in, which means some serious competition between everyone.

Chevy already has a half assed turbo on the way. It's the Cobalt SS with the 2.0 turbo.

It doesn't produce those kinds of numbers, but the motor probably hasn't been tested for it. I'm willing to bet they'll have a new top of hte line Cobalt SS within a year of the beginning of production.

Anyone see the new Corolla XRS? Celica power and drivetrain, 170 hp 127 ft lbs torque, 6 sp manual, 4 door sedan. Starts at 17k. I fucking want it.

There are plenty of 4cyl cars out there that use twin turbo's.

No there's not. But since you're the one making the statement, the burden of proof is on you, so go ahead and prove me wrong.

Old School legacy's come to mind right off the bat.

No they don't. They use a single IHI RHB5 VF turbo. See the one inlet hose coming from the MAF sensor?
s40f5b7803d0e5.jpg

Two smaller twin's on a 4cyl in a sequential manor would create alot of low end tq. especially with the 2.3l.

Wrong again. One properly sized turbocharger on a small engine will give you all the low end torque you could ever realistically want from that 2.3L. Want me to do the math?

Granted, they'll more than likely move to a single turbo setup for production, but mazda has normally been one to move forward with their prototypes. I wouldnt be surprised if it came into production just as its listed.

Uh, hello? Misprint, maybe? And even if it really did have two turbos (all logic and laws of physics says it doesn't), do you really think it'd come with two to the showroom? I mean, forget the practicality side of it, there's the cost of it- heat management, space management, the actual cost of the 2nd turbo, the plumbing, the fail safe systems, the engineering that goes into making such an engine not only hold up for the duration of the warranty, but to last 100K+ miles.

Could you possibly resize that fucking picture Loco? I mean christ I don't want to sit here all day and scroll for 300 feet!

:lol:

I can't because I'm a bandwidth stealing cock monkey who's remotely linking the picture from some poor bastards server. Feel free to resize it yourself and post it up. :)

Back