Sucking water into engine

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I think I sucked water into my engine last week..I've been driving much since then however the car is noticibly slower. The filter is still wet, and I think that is the cause of the slowness.. I doubt the water did anything at all, however, what can I do to fix the slow acceleration (very slow in 1st and 2nd gear at 1-3 k rpm........thanks

Originally posted by illicon2003@Nov 2 2003, 03:43 PM
I think I sucked water into my engine last week..I've been driving much since then however the car is noticibly slower. The filter is still wet, and I think that is the cause of the slowness.. I doubt the water did anything at all, however, what can I do to fix the slow acceleration (very slow in 1st and 2nd gear at 1-3 k rpm........thanks

change the filter any oil

yea if it injested water change the air filter, might as well change the oil and oil filter as well. Are u from jersey? cause I saw some dude when i was in strauss asking for a "racing stlye filter" :fr:

Just dry your filter out then reoil it, it should be fine to use that filter. Also it matters how much water you sucked up. cuz if it submerged the filter and sucked water in the engine and could have hydro locked and bent a connecting rod. cuz my engine lab teacher showed my class a connecting rod that was bent from hydro lock and the motor ran fine but with a little power loss. so see if it is the filter being soaked thats my guess.

for future use look into getting one of those bypass valves - i havnt heard anything about them but states if your filter gets wet it will take air from that instead

if you filter gets wet it wont hurt you engine internals just HP. a bypass works to prevent water getting sucked up if it is submerged in water and then hydro locking, cuz every one know fluids arn't compressable and that breaks shit. so if you live in a place where it floods alot get one if not fuck it unless your really freaked out by it, also it will cut the hp gain a bit, not to much tho.

check your oil see if it is foamy/milkey check the dip stick and the oil cap. If it is you will probaly have problems now that you have driven it with water in the oil. I just took a gsr motor apart because of a kid sucking up water and driving with water in the oil. It ruined his head (put very deep groves in the cam jurnals) scored his skunk2 stage 2 cams (think they can be polished) and ruined all the bearings.

Back