1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suede steering wheels.

Discussion in 'Body / Exterior / Interior / Cosmetics' started by luciusad2004, Jan 7, 2011.

1. luciusad2004

luciusad2004 Member

So I just got a Personal suede steering wheel in my car today and now I'm reading that suede wears out really fast unless I wear driving gloves and never actually touch the wheel. I didn't realize this at all before ordering. I wouldn't care if the car was a track only car but I daily drive it.

Should I try to sell it now while its in good shape and get a leather wheel instead? I suppose i could just wear driving gloves all the time, but I would feel a little silly cruising through town at 35 with racing gloves on lol.

Not really sure what to do, a lot of guys are saying their wheels didn't even last a year of daily driving.

The wheel looks and feels awesome though. :p

2. K2e2vin

K2e2vin Senior Member

It's really moisture that kills them.

You don't have to use racing gloves; simple leather "driving" gloves could work. If you want to make it work(without gloves) I guess you can buy those leather covers or wrap it in tennis grip or something.

3. kelsodeez

kelsodeez New Member

if you are worried about it wearing out, then sell it. i have a nardi perforated leather steering wheel and i wear isotoners when i drive but not because i want to protect the wheel, because i like how they feel when i drive. still shows signs of wear though. you just have to be very anal about conditioning and cleaning the leather. my personal suede wheel on my crx i rarely touch and it is already showing signs of wear

4. E_SolSi

E_SolSi Member of the 20 nut club Moderator VIP

apply a waterproof suede protector
    clean the wheel religiously with a stiff brush that wont scratch
    reapply the suede protector

might get you a little extra time out of the wheel... wont keep it mint for ever

like said... if you are really worried about it then sell it and run something else

5. luciusad2004

luciusad2004 Member

Like I said the car's my daily. I don't know that I'll necessarily think about babying my wheel when I'm rushing out the door to get to work in 15 minutes. Maybe id be better off with regular leather. I could keep some driving gloves in the glove compartment though. I could probably even pick them up tomorrow.

It's a shame really. I love the wheel, its great. I just don't want to spend over 300 bucks on a wheel and have it wear out in half a year or less. I'll mull it over in my head tomorrow, and look at prices for gloves. My hands get cold anyway.

Quick question because I don't remember...
    If I sell the wheel, I'll probably keep the Hub and Nardi adapter so that I don't have to buy that again. Do the screws usually come with the wheel itself or with the Hub? I'm pretty sure they were in the box with my hub when I opened everything but I just thought i would double check so I don't accidently rip anyone off when I sell it. Hopefully someone knows lol.

6. E_SolSi

E_SolSi Member of the 20 nut club Moderator VIP

why dont you buy the new wheel and see what comes with it
    then sell the stuff you no longer need

just a thought

7. luciusad2004

luciusad2004 Member

:redface: Thanks lol.

8. hondafreak513

hondafreak513 New Member

Yeah the oil from your hands will wear down the suede quick..

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted