Suede steering wheels.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

luciusad2004

So I just got a Personal suede steering wheel in my car today and now I'm reading that suede wears out really fast unless I wear driving gloves and never actually touch the wheel. I didn't realize this at all before ordering. I wouldn't care if the car was a track only car but I daily drive it.

Should I try to sell it now while its in good shape and get a leather wheel instead? I suppose i could just wear driving gloves all the time, but I would feel a little silly cruising through town at 35 with racing gloves on lol.

Not really sure what to do, a lot of guys are saying their wheels didn't even last a year of daily driving.

The wheel looks and feels awesome though. :p

It's really moisture that kills them.

You don't have to use racing gloves; simple leather "driving" gloves could work. If you want to make it work(without gloves) I guess you can buy those leather covers or wrap it in tennis grip or something.

if you are worried about it wearing out, then sell it. i have a nardi perforated leather steering wheel and i wear isotoners when i drive but not because i want to protect the wheel, because i like how they feel when i drive. still shows signs of wear though. you just have to be very anal about conditioning and cleaning the leather. my personal suede wheel on my crx i rarely touch and it is already showing signs of wear

apply a waterproof suede protector
clean the wheel religiously with a stiff brush that wont scratch
reapply the suede protector

might get you a little extra time out of the wheel... wont keep it mint for ever

like said... if you are really worried about it then sell it and run something else

Like I said the car's my daily. I don't know that I'll necessarily think about babying my wheel when I'm rushing out the door to get to work in 15 minutes. Maybe id be better off with regular leather. I could keep some driving gloves in the glove compartment though. I could probably even pick them up tomorrow.

It's a shame really. I love the wheel, its great. I just don't want to spend over 300 bucks on a wheel and have it wear out in half a year or less. I'll mull it over in my head tomorrow, and look at prices for gloves. My hands get cold anyway.

Quick question because I don't remember...
If I sell the wheel, I'll probably keep the Hub and Nardi adapter so that I don't have to buy that again. Do the screws usually come with the wheel itself or with the Hub? I'm pretty sure they were in the box with my hub when I opened everything but I just thought i would double check so I don't accidently rip anyone off when I sell it. Hopefully someone knows lol.

why dont you buy the new wheel and see what comes with it
then sell the stuff you no longer need

just a thought

Back