suggestions on build up

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

jeffsciv23

a friend of mine goes to an automotive school and they had a Y7 block they had taken apart to learn about pistins and shit like that. well his teacher said i can have it, so i was thinking about building it up so when i blow my Y8 i could just swap the bottoms. or even if i don't blow the one i have now still swap it in.
the question is what pistons should i use? SRP or suzuki vitara? i want to use eagle rods unless anybody can suggest better ones and stock crank. would that be good for about 15psi with uberdata?

I have hit 15psi on my stock d16z6, so with good tuning a simple rod/piston setup should easily be able to handle the power your looking for. Pay more attention to horsepower though, psi really doesn't mean much.

As far as pistons? Fuck those vitara pistons, they are cast and your compression will be low as fuck, you stock pistons coudl handle just as much if they were supoer low compression. Just get yourself some SRP's if your not going for too much horsepower. Personally I would spend a little extra and maybe get some CP or endyn roller wave pistons, but the SRP's should work fine. Eagle or scat rods should work fine also and they are both cheap.

cool thanks. i hit 12 psi today on my stock Y8, i guess i messed with the MBC a little too much.
do you know a good website to buy pistons and rods at?

Originally posted by pheonixb16aguy+Nov 27 2004, 06:12 PM-->
@Nov 26 2004, 08:14 PM
Why spend $1k on pistons and rods when you might not actually need them?  What are your power goals?
[post=422686]Quoted post[/post]​

1k .. where the fuck are you shoping ????
[post=422964]Quoted post[/post]​

Everywhere. I work at a performance shop and forged pistons, rings, rods, and connecting bolts will run your average joe-shmoe over $1000 or very close to it. My cost on forged pistons, rings, rods, and bolts was around $700.

Give ImportBuilders a call and you can pick up a really nice set of Probe Ultralite rods and Wiseco pistons complete with pins and rings for under $900 all day long. I've never paid $1000 for a set of rods/pistons, even when I went with custom high pin pistons and extra length rods.

How much are head studs? Around $100. How much are conecting rod bolts? At least 50 bux. Now you're up over $1000 that you might not have had to spend.

You were just talking about pistons/rods, not head studs. Connecting rod bolts generally come with the rods.

why does it matter if it's the y8 or y7;you're swapping to forged?

Back