Suggestions on N/A B16

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

ok i plan on staying n/a on this B16A1 that i am swapping into my CRX, i am looking for opinions on diff products such as Cams, Pistons, headwork, etc... i have really been lookin at Toda or Spoon for my parts...any ideas suggestions?? i am not looking for insane HP maybe 250-350 ballpark figures!!

hahahaha 350 from an all motor b16? i dont think so!!! lol

at best staying with the b16 you'll get about 220 to the ground... at thats re-sleeving and stroking to make it a 1.9L

and remember this... with Toda and Spoon comes the price of their name brand!

B)

yeah, I have seen only a couple 200whp b16's and all of them run spec C's.

If you can, I would sugges to start off with a GSR longblock and try to get the J spec ITR tranny with it, then just add a CAI, good header with a 2.5inch collector, 2.5 inch back from collector, ITR base map w/ hondata.

Inside I suggest crower rods, enydn pistons, new washers, bearings, seals, with all arp rod and head bolts. 12:1 compression is nice for a daily with some leway for gas mistake mixture and with some tuning. The head I say alaniz and Toda assembly with toda cams. Good luck.

Skunk2 has some nice stuff...(stage I, II, and III) cams, springs, valves, intake (I think). That should add some hp up nicely.

hmmm maybe my expectations from this engine was a little much, say if i go boost what can i look to get hp wise with street levels of boost! i know that the price comes with the name but im gonna built my shit correct.

Originally posted by PBE9699@Oct 9 2003, 09:36 AM
Whats the Fastest 1/4 Miles times you guys seen from a N/A B18C5

who cares THREADJACKER. start your own damn thread when its not at all related- or better yet, read the FAQ forum which answers your question.

concept- your expectations are stupid :) hehe

even boosted, i think the b16 is pretty weak. i can't honestly say i've seen a b16 put more than 300 to the wheels boosted. I'm sure theres some out there, but i've never seen a dyno of one, even boosted.

jeff is sleeved to a 1.8L, boosted at .75 bar, and put 260-ish down.

NA- the expensive way to go slow :)

NA does cost more in the long run if you plan on go all out and that is power vs. power.

Well just to answer the hijackers Q it would be a 12.4 with a stock 18C5 longblock.

lol pissedoffsol that was a good one..im goin all motor and if ever hit those hp #'s ill tell you how i did it..hehe..good luck..how much money are you looking to spend?

Originally posted by kingwilly@Oct 9 2003, 12:45 PM
how much money are you looking to spend?

as much as needed to get all correct, i might be able to snag the B18B from my bro-in-law soon, maybe ill slap it in with a turbo, hmmm....

if you want 300, N/a simply isn't an option in honda world.

maybe on a couple race cars, but you can't run 15:1 compression on the street on pump gas.

boost is your friend.
gsrs own :)

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Oct 10 2003, 01:14 AM
maybe on a couple race cars, but you can't run 15:1 compression on the street on pump gas.

Sure you can. Seriously. It just takes a LOT of tuning and a LOT of timing retard. Like a few full rotations of the crank retard.

:lol:

There are some streetable NA B block builds around 250whp, but they're extremely rare... and they cost a LOT of money. 250whp all motor is my target, so we'll see what happens- but I'm definitely feeling the pains of specialized parts, and you will too if you decide to shoot that high without juice or boost. If you want over 300whp on a B block, you'd better start looking into boost, because that's the only way you're going to get it and still have something that runs on pump gas, or something that breaks parts all the time.

If you really want to hit high power levels without strapping on a hair drier or some spray, make sure you're building the engine for the right reasons... none of this "I want to be different" bullshit. Forced induction makes more power than natural aspiration on the street- that's a simple fact.

Maybe you can just sign your checkbook over to the local insane asylum and go all motor like me... but you'll still get creamed by the IT junkie with the $20k turbo engine and dead bearings at the stoplight.

:lmao:

Hehe Sorry bout the attempted ThreadJack... i really just wanted to compare fastest all motor B18C5's to B16A's.

Calesta is right, i know a guy here with a CTR, he just swapped out his B16B and but in a B18C5... now he doesn't put anything american in his car so everything is Spoon and Mugen. You can imagine the amount of money he dumped into this thing eh, Cams, Pistons, valve springs, ECU, full Spoon exhaust... he idle's at 26 degrees of ignition i believe he said. After the Thousands spent on the car he runs low 14's High 13's :blink:

I guess concept you have to make a simple decision... do you wanna fly in a straight line or do you want to go around a track?

Originally posted by Calesta@Oct 10 2003, 03:58 AM
but you'll still get creamed by the IT junkie with the $20k turbo engine and dead bearings at the stoplight.

:lmao:

:newbie:

FU man... thats wrong...

I don't understand why people just don't go turbo, I'm sure someone in the past has said something bad about going turbo and really messed these peoples minds up.I don't care how you want to see it but TURBO is just going to be quicker on the street. And who ever gave you guys the idea that n/a is better they LIED.

If anyone doesn't believe me, then go buy an LS and try to work thast shit N/A and get 225 to the wheels, I promise you when I put my T3 in and set it at 10 psi, and just hand ur ass to u in ur N/A b16, you'll go turbo then.

it's about what route you want to take, some people like all motor and others FI. It is a personal decision, and it't not a HP war to get good times.

shit if that was the case then Ericks' EJ should be running 11's and not 9's with how "little hp" he puts down as compared to 700hp 9/10 second civic's. It is comapring apples to oranges.

If you have a light hatch and get it to weigh less than 2k lbs, and actually push 220whp then your going to have a fast fast car on your hands. 12's for sure with a good driver.

Originally posted by JDMilan@Oct 10 2003, 07:02 AM
it's about what route you want to take, some people like all motor and others FI. It is a personal decision, and it't not a HP war to get good times.

shit if that was the case then Ericks' EJ should be running 11's and not 9's with how "little hp" he puts down as compared to 700hp 9/10 second civic's. It is comapring apples to oranges.

If you have a light hatch and get it to weigh less than 2k lbs, and actually push 220whp then your going to have a fast fast car on your hands. 12's for sure with a good driver.

thats true cause Ericks EJ only makes a lil over 320 to the ground

:)

2.3L GSR anyone? B)

well i have no personal preference to n/a or FI, i have a 98 GTP that is supercharged with a 3.25" pulley (thats about 9-10 psi,up from the stock 6 psi). And i had an Integra LS which i kept n/a. I am just looking for the HP range as a stated before, i am now looking at a Jackson Racing SC on a built LS engine, the more i think about it i like the pull the sc makes, but will there be fitment problems with this set up in my CRX?

Back