Sup ladies?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Congrats on your new R32... how are you liking it? How about autocrossing that bitch with us in Bristol, CT some time? :p

thank you.

Its too far for me, get something closer and I would def. be down.

I'm going to e-town the first week of june to see what i can ring out of her.

fun isnt cheap!!!

you need to drive this car for more then a test drive. I love her more and more as each day passes.

i'm looking at a 2000-ish S4 for a daily driver... 20-25k range. the r32 is a hair more than that, and IMO, its just a lesser car- albeit new.
i dunno

Originally posted by JustinVw@May 4 2004, 05:59 PM
fun isnt cheap!!!

you need to drive this car for more then a test drive. I love her more and more as each day passes.

what was so different from your previous gti??

im just not too keen on the differences. i know the bodystyle changed? is that it...

i dunno what he had before bu tthe r32 is a 3.2 liter vr6 powered all wheel drive gti with stock 18's and recaros.

Originally posted by driver1@May 4 2004, 09:36 PM
i dunno what he had before bu tthe r32 is a 3.2 liter vr6 powered all wheel drive gti with stock 18's and recaros.

yum yum.

his previous gti was the vr6 with 3.? liters and fwd. no recaros. :lol:

Originally posted by JustinVw@May 4 2004, 02:31 PM
thank you.

Its too far for me, get something closer and I would def. be down.

I'm going to e-town the first week of june to see what i can ring out of her.

So going down to E-town would be for autoxing or 1/4 mile times?

Ji - If he can't make it up to Bristol autocross, what makes you think that he can make it up to your VT meet? Better tell him about the ribs and the cookies... :lol:

And for the rest of you... a review of the R32, Car and Driver named it an autoxer out of the box. :eek:

http://www.pistonheads.com/doc.asp?c=119&i=6453

Shoulda used the 1.8T to keep the weight down.

Case in point: The TT 1.8T does 0-60 a tenth of a second faster than the "top of the line" VR6 powered TT.

Well if Justin is happy with his R32, then that's all that's really important. It will never make any sense to me to buy a brand new car. For the money, it's so much better to buy a used one, and there are some great ones out there... your AllTrac is a case in point as a great bang for the buck. But we all have our priorities.

Justin - Good luck with your window regulators and electrical systems.... :ph34r:

j/k!!!!

Agreed. New cars are nice, but I look at it this way- People say that used cars break down and new cars don't. However, new cars are $300- $650 a month + whatever full coverage insurance is. In the year I've owned my AllTrac, I've paid about $500 in repairs, and $100 of that was for the Hella H4 conversion headlights, so that's technically not a repair. My insurance is $80 a month. Granted, in the next year, I'm looking at new wheel bearings all around and rear brakes, which will total about $750- $800, but I'm still below what a new car would cost me.

And for those who crave it... new car scent is only a few dollars. :p

s409a7d744bb01.jpg

Originally posted by Loco Honkey@May 6 2004, 10:43 AM
Shoulda used the 1.8T to keep the weight down.

Case in point: The TT 1.8T does 0-60 a tenth of a second faster than the "top of the line" VR6 powered TT.

the motor has NOTHING to do with the 0-60 times. The gearing has everything to do with it. 2nd gear tops out at 56mph the shift to 3rd is what KILLS the 0-60 time. If 1st and 2nd gear were as long as my old 12v vr6, this car with a great launch would definatly be in the low 5's.

Drive this car and you will then and only then realize that 0-60 doesnt mean jack.

Vw didnt build this car to get outrageous -60 times. This car is a monster once she opens up.

There are many drivers, good drivers who are clocking off high 13's in this car..... COMPLETELY STOCK. An average driver is usually runnning low to mid 14's.

Bottom line: I LOVE THIS CAR!

I'm not knocking the car, but an overweight engine hanging off the front of a short hatchback that's already heavy to begin with doesn't impress me. Yes, I'd give it a fair chance, and won't say it sucks 'till I drive it, and only if I feel it sucks, but in theory, the car doesn't excite me. I drove a Wolfsburg Edition VR6 Golf a while back, and while the car was very fun to drive in traffic because of all the low end torque, it just didn't inspire excitement in the turns or between them. Two totally different animals, I know, and is like comparing a Celica GTS to my AllTrac, but I've also driven a MK2 Golf with a VR6 and a Jetta and Passat VR6. Each time, the big engine didn't do much for me. It's just too goddamn heavy for a short FWD hatch (or sedan in the case of the Jetta and Passat). From a vehicle dynamics stand point, there's no reason to have that big of a lump under the hood of that small of a car, especially when it's hanging in front of the front axle. You can get the same power and torque out of a smaller engine. Smaller engines mean less weight, which mean lighter frames, which mean softer springs, which mean smaller brakes, which mean cheaper repair costs, which mean a more affordable car. Then we have the gas mileage issue. This isn't too big of a deal now, but gas prices aren't going to go down any time soon.

Come to VT for one of my meets so I can check it out. :)

Back