Super or Turbo my CRX???

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I'm dropping a D16Y8 into my 88' CRX (D16A6) and I am still debating whether or not to super- or turbo-charge the engine. The reason I intend on super-charging it is due to low-end power. This car will be my daily driver, and on the streets turbo-lag is not something I would like to encounter. I am getting a fully worked D16Y8 from a sponsored show car (being replaced by a K20R. Lucky him right?) and is already set-up for a turbo (had a T3). Im looking for any points or advice going one way or the other on the issue. Any information at-all would be helpful. This is just step 1in my quest!!! (check my blog)

go turbo, if you size the turbo right for your car the lag will be minimal/none, plus the gas mileage will be better with turbo then SC, also SC stresses the engine compenents at all times where turbo only stresses while in boost increasing wear, there may be other reasons to SC but I don't know any specifically.

actually...

I may be trading the CRX body for a 93 civic coupe (with an automatic d16y8). Im still buying the worked bored engine as well, but I may sell the 93 for an 01' and try a D-Sight (Insight with the D16) on for size. It will require some strengthening of the chassis, and suspension/brake work but it would be nasty! its already been done with the K series (the LHC K-Sight can be found here Honda K-sight: Honda Insight with a K20 - 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum)

And in that case, it would most definitely be turbocharged!!

Back