super short super sloppy shifter

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

turbodeigo

ok the car is an EG hatch with a JDM B16 swap.

two problems:

1- the shifter feels like the trans is full of mud. give me possible reasons and/or solutions without having to tear it apart. this is my first hydro b trans, and i have literally driven vintage cars with a more positive feeling engagement

2- im your average 5'7 guy. when im sitting in the proper upright driving position, i cant reach 1st, 3rd, or 5th without leaning forward. is that common with a dual bend SS? it doesnt appear to be cut. might not be as bad if i could find the gears without searching. and yes, i DO know how to drive

Last edited:
1. Get an energy suspension shifter bushing set and install it. Be sure to use the grease they provide.

2. Change the fluid in your clutch system. Old fluid soaks up water and will become less effective than fresh, new fluid. Changing the fluid will also get any air out of the system.

3. Check your clutch pedal and make sure it is adjusted to spec.

4. When was the last time you changed your transmission fluid?

5. When your hand falls off of the steering wheel, it should naturally hit the shifter. If it doesn't, get a new shifter. A single bend will bring it back toward you more.

the clutch feels fine. well, as fine as a 6 puck on an 8lb flywheel should feel anyway.

i already ordered the ES bushing set, and im trying to find myself a stock GSR shifter. hopefully that will bring it to where i want it. also looking for a stock GSR knob, thinking that will raise it up a bit more, and not be freezing cold. not trying to sound like a bitch, but it gets pretty cold out here, and i hate touching the CTR knob in the morning. its so cold it burns

Get that crap out of your transmission!

Seriously, put stock fluid back in. That could be half of your problem.

care to give me a part name/number for stock honda trans fluid? also, amount would be sweet.

will do ASAP, once i get that info. as for now, im a little drunk and a lot sleepy

Other than Honda fluid, I used Mobil 1 20W50 in mine and it shifts like a dream. I've heard bad stories about using heavy gear oil in Honda boxes. If you use Lucas, cut it with a lighter weight oil, or Honda fluid.

Back