super small hondas

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

mikesphat

Honda to Sell New Subcompact in U.S.
Deutsche Presse-Agentur (dpa) - January 28, 2004

Motor Trend
Japan's Honda Motor Co. will start selling a 1.3- litre subcompact in the United States as early as this year to compete with its South Korean rivals, a leading Japanese financial daily reported Thursday.

According to the Nihon Keizai Shimbun, Honda expected to sell the model at about 10,000 dollars, cheaper than its Civic, which is priced at 13,000 to 20,000 dollars for models with 1.3- to 2-litre engines.

Honda and other Japanese automakers have long dominated the subcompact field in the U.S. market but are now facing stiff competition from the Hyundai Motor Co. of South Korea.

The South Korean automaker's market share in the United States grew to 5.7 per cent in 2003 from 1.8 per cent in 1998.

According to the report, the new subcompact to be introduced will be based on Honda's Fit subcompact, which is popular in Japan, and the automaker expected annual sales of 50,000 units.

Honda is considering exporting the vehicles from Japan but might produce them in Brazil instead if the dollar continues to trade below 110 yen and makes exports from Japan less profitable or even loss- making, the report said.

Meanwhile, Honda's spokeswoman Yuriko Yabe denied the report from Tokyo, saying nothing had been decided.

Honda sold 1.35 million new cars in the United States last year, an increase of 8 per cent on the year and a record.

that last sentence rules!!! :worthy:

honda_fit-jazz(2002).jpg

oh, how refreshing...a car tailored to the young and fuel conservative.

That was a great find Airjockie. I guess we have the new tuner car for the 21st cetury. Soon everyone will have one swapped with a k20. I was going to say that the car was weak-looking until I hit that link. That's off the hook.

I believe its called the FIT but I'm not sure, and they have made some of them some pretty nasty autox rides.

They have those over here too, called the Jazz in Europe. My friend bought one, and had Honda install the Type R looking shit all over it, basically a drop and body kit. Interesting little car, kinda ghey, but whatever.

well yes i am an idiot. hooked on phonics is my next purchase

holy shit that car is badass not the best looking thing but Id rock that shit in a heartbeat
turbo anyone? hehehehhehe

To bad the US spec car will have the Civic DX motor in it =) MAYBE EX if we're lucky.

Back