superchaged twin turbo sti

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

holy crap.. I wonder if you have to wear a G-suit to drive it..? Dead sexy! That'll pull nice off the line all the way to the top end..

I'm sure some will think its quite impractical, but it really isnt(in most respects). The supercharger gets the turbo's fully spooled by 2300RPM, with the SC off, the turbo's dont hit full boost til 7100RPM. The production kit will come with 2 GT25's and wont include the SC. If I remember right its running ~25psi. Stock block and pushing well over 400HP.

supercharger on 6mpg and off 26mpg

first off, i wana say that that is one badass setup right there, good ingenuity. but, i doubt it ets 26mpg with just the two turbos... also, 400-500hp....i kinda expect that from a single turbo upgrade, not from two turbos AND a supercharger....

well 2 turbos generally just get you a faster spool and quicker torque. I know the MK4 Supra tops at 320 with TTs, but a single turbo upgrade can net over 1100RWHP

A Supra TT in SCC's USCC last year pushed 400+hp with stock twin turbos and the BPU++ treatment.

Anyway, low end power in mondo-turbo cars is a godsend. One of the guys I hang out with has an 04' STI with a Turbonetics T66. Boost doesn't even start until 5600rpm, and it doesn't peak until well over 6600rpm. It's power band is small, and looking at it's dyno graph, a stock STI bests it as far as torque and hp until the T66 STI hits about 4500rpm, and the turbo starts spooling. A smaller turbo would fix the problem, perhaps a GT35, or even some other BB turbo. However, the top end of the T66 is ridiculous. Running regular hose clamps prooved useless, as the charge side pipe would pop off once the boost surged before an upshift.

I want to see a twin-charged Supra.... :ph34r:

You can switch the turbos in the Supra from sequential to simultaneous very easily (Jumper setting in the 98s).

I've seen twin turbo Supras at 400+ hp - The choice to go to a single turbo just happens at the higher levels of racing, where the turbo is a $3000 ball-bearingless unit. I can't see one reason why the duals would limit you getting to higher than 400+ hp.

-> Steve

The stock twins are kinda small, and the huge cast-iron manifold they connect to is a huge heat sink, keeping tons of heat in the engine bay. Additionally, the sequential nature of the turbos means that it is vacuum operated, and once one line goes bad, it can screw with the entire setup.

It's best to upgrade and go with a medium turbo, either a T04R, or a GT35 series turbo. For crazy horsepower, one can go up to a huge T88, or GT40 large frame turbo. Smaller aftermarket twins work well in MKIV's, but generally don't have the top end of the big-ass turbos.

The only factory turbo setup that seems to be working really well is the setup on the RB26 motors. They're not sequential - rather 3 cylinders per turbo. The manifolds can accept any small-fram Garret turbo, and the engine responds well to either a pair of bigger T28's, or with a new manifold - a pair of GT285's. Again, some tuners have used two T3/4's, or two GT3037's - but you can't mess with a T51, T88, or GT40.

Back