supercharge or swap

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Ignorant import guy

i have a d16y8 with an automatic tranny and a few mods...now i've got mixed opinions on what i should do...should i swap for either a b16 or a b18 with the manual tranny...or some people have suggested supercharging it with a jackson racing supercharger and putting a higher stall torque converter so it could be quick off the line...which would get the best bang for the buck being that they would both cost around $2300-$2400...i know the manual tranny is a big avantage but could a supercharger maybe make up the difference being that it seems like a pain in the a** to switch trannies...i have people that would do my work either way

the swap would be the best bet. if you super the d16 then thats it, you cant do much more to it and you will be pissed as hell when you get beat by a b18 with some slight mods. if you swap to b-series then not only did you just get a very nice increase in power but you have a nice fresh slate to mod. swap then super if you ask me:D

yea money is definitely an issue...if i swap i don't think there is any modding after that...would it be better to supercharge and swap the tranny...i think that could be done for around $500 i just don't know if the people who do my work could do the splicing and wiring with a new ecu with the sam engine

i still say swap the engine and convert it to a standard. you will get about the same amount of hp (depending on the engine) but more importantly you will have an engine that is OEM reliable. i don't know about the rest of you but reliability is extremely important to me.

yea liked mentioned u supercharge it and ur done thats it. even if u dont have much money, the money u have should go to the swap, that way later on u can go peice by peice adding new things. i'm lookin at a 97 hatch with auto tranny, if i get it thats going to be the first i save up for.

Back