supercharged B16A2 ~ B16A2 or B16B cams?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

stmotorsports

ok so when I got my 2000 Si the po had ctr cams in it. I've since installed a jackson kit. Should I necessarily go back to the stock B16A2 cams ie- ctrs no good for boost? I'm wondering if there is far too much overlap in the ctrs and either compromising peak cyl pressures and/or wasting fuel

thoughts?

any cam made for all motor will hurt performance in a turbo/supercharged vehicle... i've heard GSR cams work great for turbo applications.. so i'm sure they'd work with a supercharger too.. plus you could sell the CTR cams for $350-400 and buy GSR cams for around $100

or you could keep the ctr cams and get adjustable cam gears, then tune it on a dyno. if you install a jrsc on a type r and a b16a, the type r will make a good bit more power, so do you really think the cams are hurting it that bad? have you dynoed tuned the car since installing the jrsc?

or you could keep the ctr cams and get adjustable cam gears, then tune it on a dyno. if you install a jrsc on a type r and a b16a, the type r will make a good bit more power, so do you really think the cams are hurting it that bad? have you dynoed tuned the car since installing the jrsc?

Or you could get the proper cams for the application, get adjustables and THEN tune it on the dyno, and see even better results.

All motor cams on on a turbo/supercharged application is like shooting yourself in the foot. You're pretty much pushing air right through the motor with little to no combustion because of the overlap.

the Type-R engines really don't make that great of power when boosted. Obviously they make higher gross numbers than a B16 but less net gain from being boosted. B16s respond notoriously well to boost whereas the itr/ctr motors really don't as much. Assumedly the cams have something to do with this(?)

I havent dyno'd the car, it's the stock jrsc street (6-7psi) kit on the stock obd2 ecu. I have no plans on converting to obd1 as this entire swap will be going into my dd in the next few months.
I figure that's when I'll do the cam swap only because I'm going to be in there anyways

All motor cams on on a turbo/supercharged application is like shooting yourself in the foot. You're pretty much pushing air right through the motor with little to no combustion because of the overlap.

exactly what I've been thinking & why I want to get the cam issue straightened out

I'm thinking the cheapest way out is just to find some stock B16 cams, I usually see them going for next to nothing. Gsrs too prolly, I'm just wondering how much difference there would be between the 2

GSR cams are considered by jackson racing as the way to go. Pick up a set of cam gears while your at it if you plan on dyno tuning. Tuning out some of the overlap with gam gears yeilds amazing results onm FI cars.

Tuning out some of the overlap with gam gears yeilds amazing results onm FI cars.
:werd: A simple change of cam profile can completely turn a car around. There's a guy in Seattle with a 98 hatch with ~500whp on a built LS-VTEC with B16B cams inside of it, he'd prolly see another ~15-20whp with a cam change and retune.

hmm maybe I could get away with gsr cams then... which really sux cause I had a set but got rid of them thinking they weren't good for boost :bonk:

I was definitely planning on getting a set of gears for the new build to dial out some of the overlap

Back