Supercharging the B16A in a '93 Del Sol?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Boomboxx

Hi!

I want to supercharge my 1993 Del Sol w/ B16A.

The thing is, I want to supercharge it with an electrical supercharger partially developed by a friend who is an aerodynamics engineer, still in education phase of his career, though :) It's a bit different from conventional superchargers, however I have some information to share if this can help, further down in this post.

If you aren't able to help me out, I hope you just press the back button instead of writing a bunch of pessimistic bs regarding the unfunctionality of the project :)

I'm aware that electrical superchargers are being discussed in different forums now and then, and that most of the ideas are half-baked and probably most are dismissed as somewhat useless. However, this project being a bit different in its design, I want to give it a try - to do that I need some help from the engine/ECU-superheroes that I know can be found at this forum - so please, if you're willing, give me your best advice.

If the project works out to function properly, we'll put out some pictures of the car and hardware we used making it work, so everybody can do it if they want to.

Now, to the hypothetic setup with "hypothetic facts" :D

I have the B16A, which is a fairly small engine (which is a big plus, because it will obviously be easier to "force feed").

The supercharger should be able to operate with constant pressure at about 6psi, maybe a little less/more, but we will aim at 6psi max boost.

The supercharger has a maximum airflow of about 1200cfm, this is at very low pressure. As pressure rises, the airflow obviously goes down accordingly.

So what I would like to know is how I prepare my engine to handle the 6psi of boost, and still make it run as normal (or equal to normal, at least) without the supercharger or with the supercharger switched off.

This is what I've learned from reading here and that tuning internet circle you guys often refer to:

ECU:
I have to change the P30 ECU to the P28 ECU, and make it "chippable" (guess it isn't from factory?) so I can use another program for my engine?

Can someone here make that program for me, in that case? Programming and tuning is something I would REALLY like to don't do, as there are so few and very expensive dealers who do that around here - I live in Norway, by the way! :)

Injectors:
I'll probably buy the RC550 or 450 injectors, which ever you think is the best? :)

Fuel pump:
The Walbro 255hp should be fine, right? :)

Basically, this is all I need, right? The biggest problem is the tuning part, b/c as I said earlier, there is no reasonable way for me to get this done. I honestly don't think I can buy the wideband O2-sensor, and the equipment and read me to the rest, because 1) I don't have that much time to read, and 2) I haven't done anything near this before...

So, what do you think about my project? Doable, or no way in hell that it'll work? :lol:

Thanks for all your help!

Best regards,
Boomboxx,
Norway

p30's can be chipped. the only real difference between it and the p28 is a knock sensor output and differen oem maps.

IMO, you're wasting your time. I know you told me to hit the back button, but too bad :D
There was some research done here on how much force it would need or power to actually make it beneficial, and it was a stupid amount... like you needed a 30 hp motor just to power a unit string enough to produce enough air flow at 8000 rpms to force air in faster than the motor can suck it in.

Props to your buddy for trying something out, but i wouldn't be donating my del sol vtec to him, thats for damn sure.

Ok, so now I got a tip that I should use a basemap.

What the heck is a basemap? :p

Anyway, I understand that getting a chipped ECU is the best way of handling, but what do I do when this becomes close to impossible because there's nobody to tune it to my car where I live?

I am tempted to "easy" solutions like vafc or even the FMU, because allthough they're not optimal solutions, at least they will function... Also I will never have more that 6psi boost, so either should (could) work, right...?

Also, I have not yet found a walkthrough for chip tuning, with parts list, place to find the parts, and a complete how-to. I really need this IF I'm ever going to make it on my own...

But so far, my list is like this (I think...):
1. Get 450cc injectors?
2. Get walbro fuel pump?
3. Get *insert list of necessary ECU-tuning-parts here*

And that's it, right?

Note: If anyone of you experienced American users here (who are known and trustworthy on this forum) can supply me with the stuff I need (the whole package) and send them to me, I will gladly pay $$$ for the help! Also, if this person can send it marked as a gift, I'll also pay him the amount saved in custom fees when I receive the package.

Anyone interested? :eek:

:)

werd...thats where the REALLY smart people post...thats why ive only got a post count of 2 there.....

Really informative stuff when it comes to tuning.

Back