Supplements

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

tab

Super Moderator
I saw a girl I went to school with on Friday. She lost a bunch of weight. She was taking a supplement made from grapefruit rinds. No stimulants, all natural. She lost 18lbs in three weeks. I was pretty impressed, so I've decided to broaden my horizons since I haven't read up for a while. BTW, the girl is an RN, and researched the supplement for several months before taking it.

I can't remember the name of it, but I'll try to find out and post it. I'm curious what supplements, if any, that people on this board take. What for, how much, cost, and results.

I'm currently only taking L-Glutamine, to prevent muscle loss, about $10/month, and I'd say I gained a little muscle mass after starting.

i dont really take any suppliments.. the only thing i'm taking is a multi-vitamin made by "apex"

i used to take "ripped fuel" but stopped when i learnd it had ephedra in it.. haven't bothered to get the non ephedra one, becasue i'm just too lazy and dont exercise enough to benifit from it..

Originally posted by 90 accord@Aug 11 2004, 03:16 AM
i dont really take any suppliments.. the only thing i'm taking is a multi-vitamin made by "apex"

i used to take "ripped fuel" but stopped when i learnd it had ephedra in it.. haven't bothered to get the non ephedra one, becasue i'm just too lazy and dont exercise enough to benifit from it..
[post=375201]Quoted post[/post]​

i used to take Xenadrine while i did taebo (fuck you if you laugh :p ) I lost about 5lbs. a week...then i got lazy and stopped and gained it all right back...come to think of it, i'm gonna start soon because my job is now giving us 24 Fitness memberships for free for the 1st year...any additional years are only like $30 a year!

I take Interactive Nutrition's "Lean Gainer" for protein, carbs and essential fatty acids, and the L-glutamine for enhanced recovery after my workout.
Everything is all-natural.
My diet is as follows:
Daily:
Calories: 2500-3000
Protein: 130-140g
Carbs: 250-260g
Monosaturates: 25-30g
Polysaturates: 5-10g
L-Glutamines: 30-40g
Water: 1.5-2.5 Liters

The thing about high-protein diets is that a) you gotta keep at it, or you lose the majority of the weight you've gained. Normally I weigh around 130lbs (Im 23 years old and 5"10), now i weight close to 145-147.
B) This kind of diet reaks havok on your digestive system. I usually keep on this diet for only three days of the week, then for the other four I pretty much take it in half. This prevents insulin spikes and stimulates new groth. If you're not careful this diet can cause crazy constipation, hemmeroids, cramping, water retention among a bunch of other things. So watch out.

I only ever supplement if I dont get the necessary amount of nutrients from my food. And the biggest point of this post is that if you want to gain, dont expect to take supplements and grow to be he-man. If you dont work out really hard then you will just get fat. If you want to lose weight and use supplements, better be prepared to do crazy amounts of cardio or you will just become unhealthy.

Boo-ya.

Costco all in one diet pack. 7 pills, don't know what exactly.

15mg L-Glutamine
60g Whey Protein
60g Soy Protein
10mg Creatine post works outs

Originally posted by New2TheCarScene@Aug 11 2004, 12:24 PM
Multi vitamin, creatine, and whey protein. Everything else unless its a steroid is bullshit.
[post=375348]Quoted post[/post]​

blah at everyone falling for gimics

www.wannabebig.com/forums

go to the supplement forums, best forums.

Originally posted by New2TheCarScene+Aug 11 2004, 12:25 PM-->
New2TheCarScene
@Aug 11 2004, 12:24 PM
Multi vitamin, creatine, and whey protein.  Everything else unless its a steroid is bullshit.

[post=375351]Quoted post[/post]​

I agree with everything you said except the whole creatine deal. Sure there has been some speculation on that topic but the way I see it.....your body produces creatine already. The more active you are, the more creatine you produce. Why supplement creatine at all? Does it keep you in an anabolic state? No. Does it make your insulin levels spike? yes. In turn, wouldn't that make your body go into a catabolic state quicker? yes. But does it show results quickly? yes...yes it does. The way I see it, if it shows immediate results, then your going to lose it when you stop. I have proven that theory so many times....
For gaining Mass you Need 1) protein 2) Essential fatty acids like L-glutamine 3) complex carbs 4) lots of calories not from fats or sugars 5) a strong gut to digest all this crap.

edit: The weird part about it is you DONT NEED TO SUPPLEMENT AT ALL! You can get everything out of normal food. Go figure.

They're called supplements, because they are in addition to a regular diet. If you eat like shit, and don't work out, chances are you'll get chubby. Some people don't.

I was really intrigued by the grapefruit supplement, since you'd have to eat an assload of grapefruit(and the rind) to equal what the supplement gives you. That, and I don't really like grapefruit.:shrug2:

Originally posted by adnoh+Aug 11 2004, 12:58 PM-->
Originally posted by New2TheCarScene@Aug 11 2004, 12:25 PM
New2TheCarScene
Multi vitamin, creatine, and whey protein. Everything else unless its a steroid is bullshit.

I agree with everything you said except the whole creatine deal. Sure there has been some speculation on that topic but the way I see it.....your body produces creatine already. The more active you are, the more creatine you produce. Why supplement creatine at all? Does it keep you in an anabolic state? No. Does it make your insulin levels spike? yes. In turn, wouldn't that make your body go into a catabolic state quicker? yes. But does it show results quickly? yes...yes it does. The way I see it, if it shows immediate results, then your going to lose it when you stop. I have proven that theory so many times....
For gaining Mass you Need 1) protein 2) Essential fatty acids like L-glutamine 3) complex carbs 4) lots of calories not from fats or sugars 5) a strong gut to digest all this crap.

edit: The weird part about it is you DONT NEED TO SUPPLEMENT AT ALL! You can get everything out of normal food. Go figure.
[post=375366]Quoted post[/post]​

" Essential fatty acids like L-glutamine "

LOL @ that glutamine has been proven to do virtually nothing. Your body doesnt produce excess creatine from exercise, creatine is an essential meaning that you have to digest it...its not a nonessential where your body makes it. You get it from the meat you eat.

Creatine basically helps in the ATP cycle, if you know anything about the sliding filament theory of how muscles work and the ATP cycle that coincides with that you'll understand what I'm saying. In short it allows you to lift more weight for a longer period of time which will as a result allow you to become bigger and stronger. Sure a lot of the weight you get from creatine is excess water weight but in the end you'll be stronger and theres a correlation between strength and size

i was taking a creatine powder but every time i drink it i almost threw up. ive tried different kind but its all gross.

You should only use Creatine Monohydrate, and mix it with apple or grape juice so it dissolves easy.

What's up with the bull shit on the glutamine? Here's my speculation on it.

My brother dieted like a biznatch and ran 4-5 miles a day for 10 months. Lost 70-80lbs. He also is the size of a twig and can't put up nearly as much as he did in the beginning.

I used L-glutamine on run days 3x a day and I lost a total of 50lbs in 5 months. I didn't lift as much as I should have, but my maxes didn't go down that much at all.

Actually for the 1st and 2nd month, they wqent up 40 lbs in bench doing a rendition of a dvorak chest cycle. But that only put me up to like 160lbs at the time, because I had no chest whatsoever, and pretty much still don't, but am benching a good % over my body weight.

Originally posted by New2TheCarScene+Aug 11 2004, 03:37 PM-->
Originally posted by adnoh@Aug 11 2004, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by New2TheCarScene@Aug 11 2004, 12:25 PM
New2TheCarScene
Multi vitamin, creatine, and whey protein.  Everything else unless its a steroid is bullshit.

[post=375366]Quoted post[/post]​

" Essential fatty acids like L-glutamine "

LOL @ that glutamine has been proven to do virtually nothing. Your body doesnt produce excess creatine from exercise, creatine is an essential meaning that you have to digest it...its not a nonessential where your body makes it. You get it from the meat you eat.

Creatine basically helps in the ATP cycle, if you know anything about the sliding filament theory of how muscles work and the ATP cycle that coincides with that you'll understand what I'm saying. In short it allows you to lift more weight for a longer period of time which will as a result allow you to become bigger and stronger. Sure a lot of the weight you get from creatine is excess water weight but in the end you'll be stronger and theres a correlation between strength and size
[post=375494]Quoted post[/post]​

Actually Creatine (which is a fatty amino acid just like L-Glutamine) IS created by your body, in the liver and kydneys to be exact. The higher content of meat and protein in your diet, the more creatine is produced. The more you exercise, the more protein your body craves to build muscle, the more creatine your body produces. It's very simple. L-Glutamine, being a amino acid just like creatine, deals with the recovery of the muscle. L-glutamine makes up over 60% of the amino acids in your bones and after a workout glutamine levels are dropped in half. More glutamine means faster recovery and stroger immune system. What's so useless about that?

Creatine is for Lazy asses who cant make up their proper calorie intake in a given day. Want to lift more? Want more energy when you work out? Increase your calorie intake by 500 on workout day. ;)

Back