Support call I just took

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Celerity

I have no time, so I'll just paste it in here from my IM window..

[09:23] Etienne Earl: New world record
[09:23] Etienne Earl: The most computer illiterate person ever
[09:24] Etienne Earl: "Are you on a mac or pc?"
[09:25] Etienne Earl: "I don't know"
[09:25] Etienne Earl: "is it black?"
[09:25] Etienne Earl: "Um... It's grey.
[09:26] Etienne Earl: "ok, does it look funky?, or boxy ?"
[09:26] Etienne Earl: "I don't know"
[09:26] Etienne Earl: "Does your mouse have one button or two"
[09:28] Etienne Earl: "I don't know. It's got a bunch of things and this bump in the middle"
[09:28] Etienne Earl: "Ok. It sounds like a PC. does it say 'Compaq' on the front ?"
[09:28] Etienne Earl: "I don't know"
[09:28] Etienne Earl: "Can you see it?"
[09:28] Etienne Earl: "Yes. It's on the floor"
[09:29] Etienne Earl: "Does it say Compaq on it?"
[09:29] Etienne Earl: "I don't see it"
[09:29] Etienne Earl: "Ok, in the lower left corner of your screen, do you see a start button?"
[09:29] Etienne Earl: "Hangon" (20 seconds pass) "Yes"
[09:29] Etienne Earl: "Ok, then it's what I thought. I'd like you to save all of your open documents"
[09:29] Etienne Earl: "What do you mean?"
[09:30] Etienne Earl: "any work you have open, I need you to save it"
[09:30] Etienne Earl: "What do you mean by save it?"
[09:30] Etienne Earl: "When you are done with a document or something, you save it and then close it"
[09:30] Etienne Earl: "Close what?"
[09:30] Etienne Earl: "The program"
[09:30] Etienne Earl: "I don't close anything. I leave this machine running all the time"
[09:30] Etienne Earl: "Is there someone there that is more technically oriented that I can work with?"
[09:31] Etienne Earl: "I don't know. Let me ask" (In the background) "Anyone know anything about a computer?"

probably not.

i have a few users that are about that bad. we had a fit and now IT is included in the hiring process ;)

Wish I was.

Someone else got a call from her a while ago.. "I remember her !" they exclaimed, "I had her click on the start button, and she couldn't find it. I told her it was in the lower left corner, and she said there were no buttons. I knew she was looking at the monitor itself. I told her to look on the actual screen, and she asked me what it looked like. I told her it's in the corner and had start written on it. She still didn't get it, so I had her hit the Windows key on the keyboard. She couldn't find it either so she gave up and just offered to pay for someone to come out"

What gets me is that I have NEVER had a job where I could be missing basic skills. How did this woman get a job ?!

Yeah how old is this chick? I have seniors in high school that don't know how to click and drag or save a file to a thumb drive when the enter my class. By the time they leave they are using FTP sites to upload files...

lmfao...that its sooooooo great...ive had some entertaining help desk calls as well...some people!!!

sounds like my mom.. hahaha.. she asks for help w/ her computer so i help her... i click something and she is like "what was that??" show me again.. it gets really annoying.. she has to write shit down or she doesnt know what the hell to do.. all i was doing was simply defragmenting her comp.

I think I had a rant about this before. Doctors are completely stupid when it comes to any technology. There are brain surgeons out there who can't operate a telephone.

But that's ok, because these guys are old. They are used to looking in books and doing "paperwork". It's the new people that blow my mind. 20 somethings who have crawled up the academia ladder and made it to ivy league - People our age - who can't right click on shit. Ivy League students are dumb as a box of hammers.

I think I had a rant about this before. Doctors are completely stupid when it comes to any technology. There are brain surgeons out there who can't operate a telephone.

But that's ok, because these guys are old. They are used to looking in books and doing "paperwork". It's the new people that blow my mind. 20 somethings who have crawled up the academia ladder and made it to ivy league - People our age - who can't right click on shit. Ivy League students are dumb as a box of hammers.

He speaks the truth. I remember when the NIH started their electronic grant proposal submission. I don't know how many offices I was sent to in order to hand hold doctors through the point and click process.

Made a *LOT* of friends in rather high places though.

yep i work a helpdesk supporting a major hospital conglomerate in NYC... doctors are morons when it comes to computers

yep i work a helpdesk supporting a major hospital conglomerate in NYC... doctors are morons when it comes to computers

+1

My uncle (the orthopaedic surgeon) called me the other day cause "His internet isnt working".

Uncle: "Yo, Josh, man, my internet isnt working."
Me: "Did you call AOL?" (first clue)
Uncle: "Yeah, but i sat on hold for 45 minutes and never talked with anyone."
Me: "Okay, so what does the screen say when you cant connect?"
Uncle: "It doesn't say anything."
Me: "Does AOL even come up?"
Uncle: "No."
Me: "Click on the start menu"
Uncle: "Where's that?"
Me: "On the bottom left."
Uncle: "I dont see it."
Me: "Well what do you see."
Uncle: "Nothing."
Me: "So you dont even see a picture of [your daughter]?"
Uncle: "No its just black."
Me: "Open that panel on your desk where you have the computer box at."
Uncle: "Okay."
Me: "Now you see that button that has a picture of a circle with a line through it?"
Uncle: "Yeah."
Me: "Is it green or is it off?"
Uncle: "I guess its off, cause no lights are on."
Me: "Good. Leave it that way."
Uncle: "Oh Okay."
Me: "Can i call you back?"
Uncle: "Yeah, call back soon though. Please."
Me: "K."

HANG UP

Call his wife.

Me: "HEY GURLIE!"
Aunt: "Wassup?"
Me: "You married him for his money didnt you?"
Aunt: "Huh?"
Me: "Your husband just called me to fix his internet....The computer's NOT EVEN ON!"
Aunt: "Yeah....I started turning it off when i leave cause he keeps messing it up."
Me: "Call him and tell him exactly what you just told me."
Aunt: "K....for a doctor he sure is techno stupid aint he?"
Me: "Yeah....but youre the one driving a lexus....and im the one driving the honda. He must be doing something right."
Aunt: "Touche. Peace dude."

Back