Surge Protectors own

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

asmallsol

Super Moderator
Almost everyday for the past 2 weeks we have had bad thunderstorms and ALOT of rain here in Michigan. Anyways, about an hour ago, its raining, pretty hard, but no lighting real close. All of a sudden, a HUGE bolt struck somewhere very close by. There was NO time between the flash and the thunder. Instead of the normal crack sound, there was a very loud pop. My brother was on the internet playing some online game at the time, and when it hit, computer froze. He resets and the DSL and our huge speakers down work. We have a decent computer setup. Pretty much every accessory you can think of. We have to run 2 surge protectors. Anyways, after messing around for a few, I find out that the sound card is working (plug some headphones up to the sound out) and after looking at the eathernet card, it looked fine. So I look, the one surge protecter has a light on it for surge and the power on its out. So I try and hook everything up to that one, and everything works :woo:

So the damage. The surge procector is fried. It did its job because everything else pluged into it still works.

sweet it did it's job...

how close to the indiana/ohio boarder are you? we've had some pretty bad Tstorms all day....third front in the past 4 hours now.

Originally posted by asmallsol@May 23 2004, 08:14 PM
I am in the Detroit area. Its been a rough spring.

:werd: spring in the Midwest is rough...i feel sorry for the guys in texas/oklahoma/kansas areas

Regular non-conditioning surge protectors like those offer practically no protection... Small sags and surges pass right through... You'd have to get hit directly by lightning for them to offer any protection......

Which is exactly what happened. :D :thumbsup:

when my dad used to work at data general, he brought home a bunch of new surge protectors that were used on the mainframes...

ive never been worried of electricity since.

Back